What Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewZealands4Lyfe

Reaction score
When I originally bought my buck in early August, I was told her was a NZ/Flemish Giant cross, I learned more and more about rabbits and rabbit breeds, now I'm thinking he may be an American Chinchilla, what are yall's thoughts and opinions?

RrgU3wG9fXfQghXSnYwvbG9ob5f6r5nFasABfAitTa_-OreVywaikIsidKnp3OeqUA1lVw=s85

__________ Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 pm __________

I will get better photos real quick <br /><br /> __________ Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm __________ <br /><br />
XW6Gq4ML0UC-g5Sbgo39gcfv1l8miP6WYz-Z9pjyrY44i3721kE7zZrr914EWhJDRhrPSHs=s85

exG_MMiGbuzTtogb0X1pZeJs7OU-X_IjSXkrJNW4vkjjZs7bHdFcvevVc1k7skTDHnTUqg=s113

Honestly, rabbits with no pedigree are functionally mutts unless they meet all of the breed characteristics to be shown as a purebred rabbit of one or another breed. Even if they do, their unknown backgrounds could make them undesirable to breed with purebred lines. (A mutt that just happened to "look" like a purebred could introduce unshowable colors or other unwanted genes in a line.)

The weight, the "type" and all other features in the breed standard would have to match up before I would call an unpedigreed rabbit any member of a breed.
As a general rule, if a breeder doesn't provide a pedigree, it's because they don't intend the rabbit they sold to be used for breeding purebred animals for one reason or another.

There are a LOT of chinchilla colored mutts out there, and its an easy color to get from a flemish/nz cross.
They make fine meat rabbits. :dinner:

Could easily be a flemish/NZ cross, which is much more common than american chinchillas. Look up Light Gray flemish giants; they're the same color.

Okay, thanks, guys! I knew that it would be pretty low, Marco's head looks so identical, I realized he was in moult, that probably was a contributing factor to his colour.

Back