Preserving tail with bone

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Freezer camp day today and I froze the hides for later processing and put the feet AND 2 tails in a jar with 91% rubbing alcohol.

I know for making "lucky" rabbits feet I soak in this solution then borax, wash, and wahala preserved feet. I would have liked the bone out but since it pulled off in the tail I'm not going to try and split the tail.

Did anyone try the rabbit feet method on a tail with the bone in? I mean there isn't much tissue to rot like the feet. I kind of want to preserve it for my sisters cats as a toy.

Short of doing it proper by removing the tail bone can I leave it in?

Zass":fvojpkrr said:
They can dry out fine if left in, but it's really better to remove it, and splitting the tail is easier than you might think.

Ok thanks. Deer and raccoon I have took the time to split the tail if I don't get it out (although a clamp like tool helps a lot with that)

I'm just feeling lazy but it's a nice tail sonic wasn't going to split it.....plus with deer and coon it never looks quite perfect again since I don't stitch it back together.

Good to know!

Green2Rabbits":3j924yut said:
Zass":3j924yut said:
They can dry out fine if left in, but it's really better to remove it, and splitting the tail is easier than you might think.

Ok thanks. Deer and raccoon I have took the time to split the tail if I don't get it out (although a clamp like tool helps a lot with that)

I'm just feeling lazy but it's a nice tail sonic wasn't going to split it.....plus with deer and coon it never looks quite perfect again since I don't stitch it back together.

Good to know!

I know what you mean about the deer and coon tails, but due to the density of the fur, splitting a rabbit tail doesn't seem to harm the appearance like it does with other critters, but you should try it first on ones that aren't important to you.

I've never found a reliable way to strip a rabbit tail without ruining it, like you can with some other species. (Squirrels are relatively easy.)
Also, you can use a dab of glue to put one back together if you need to, as stitches might not be the best choice for some of a rabbit's more delicate parts, especially a fryer. .

Zass":3dhtwbr5 said:
Green2Rabbits":3dhtwbr5 said:
Zass":3dhtwbr5 said:

Ok thanks. /quote]

I know what you mean about the deer and coon tails, but due to the density of the fur, splitting a rabbit tail doesn't seem to harm the appearance like it does with other critters, but you should try it first on ones that aren't important to you.

I've never found a reliable way to strip a rabbit tail without ruining it, like you can with some other species. (Squirrels are relatively easy.)
Also, you can use a dab of glue to put one back together if you need to, as stitches might not be the best choice for some of a rabbit's more delicate parts, especially a fryer. .
There not super important since it's for a cat toy.

Yeah that's a good idea to use glue!

Being delicate I want to but if this fails I will use glue.

Yeah squirrels are super easy. :D

Latest posts

Back