which is better?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewZealands4Lyfe

Reaction score
I am currently online looking for a 4H project. (rabbit obviously) and I found an ad. It says: I have a bunch of Standard Rex and New Zealand rabbits available, ranging from 5 weeks old to 3 months old all assorted colours, solid colours, broken colours and tri-colour. asking 25-50$ depending on colour and Fur Type, Rex with proper plush fur are $50. Deals on multiple animals and can sell unrelated pairs. Is this a good deal? and if so, which breed is better and pros and cons on broken and tri-colour. Thanks!!

Well if you are looking for a rabbit that will grow out faster the NZ is the tried and true rabbit for that. If you are looking for a rabbit that has a really pretty pelt and you don't mind not having the biggest rabbit then Rex rabbits will do the job well. I also think Rex rabbits are friendlier than NZ rabbits because most every commercial facility uses NZs.
So if you are looking for the winning meat pen then I would recommend nz rabbits for that purpose. Though if you are fine with compromising your chance of winning a bit to get a soft and a tad more friendly rabbit then Rexes will serve you well. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also it may be a deal or not depending on your area and the quality of the rabbits. For the tricolor vs broken question it is purely a decision on your preferences. I simply think tris are more pretty, but that is just my opinion.

Ice":3ps3xfb4 said:
Well if you are looking for a rabbit that will grow out faster the NZ is the tried and true rabbit for that. If you are looking for a rabbit that has a really pretty pelt and you don't mind not having the biggest rabbit then Rex rabbits will do the job well. I also think Rex rabbits are friendlier than NZ rabbits because most every commercial facility uses NZs.
So if you are looking for the winning meat pen then I would recommend nz rabbits for that purpose. Though if you are fine with compromising your chance of winning a bit to get a soft and a tad more friendly rabbit then Rexes will serve you well.

__________ Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:43 pm __________

Also it may be a deal or not depending on your area and the quality of the rabbits. For the tricolor vs broken question it is purely a decision on your preferences. I simply think tris are more pretty, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks! I just want a rabbit that is a little bit smaller then the flemish cross I currently have for 4H. Most people in my area use satins I believe. But my sister-in-law has a rex and I love his temperament, I think I will go with the rex, just needed an opinion from someone who knew more then me!

I've sold bunnies to 4H folks since they are a fiber breed and they still have the bunny at the end of their project. A Rex could be grown for the pet market, perhaps? Not sure exactly how the 4H projects work, but a lot of the kids around here who grow a pig for 4H seem to start out not quite realizing the end result of raising a pig.

^Agreed. I personally would look for a different breeder. New zealands don't come in tricolor. Purebred rex always have "plush" fur. Sounds like this breeder has a bunch of meat mutts. Which would be fine if you were just looking for meat but for 4H you probably want something that follows show standards.

Since we're pointing out red flags..
Very very few respectable breeders will sell 5 week old kits, and it actually illegal in many parts of the US.
Try to buy meat kits at 8 weeks or older, that way you can at least see what weight the breeder is getting them to at that age.

Thanks, Zass and SableSteel! With this information, I will find a different breeder. I did see a red flag on his profile, he is a reptile breeder, maybe the kits were bred for food? I won't need a rabbit for another month and I have to cull my current meat breeders as the female is no longer producing enough milk. Anyways, when looking for a rex, what would the standard be to look for?

It depends on what you are wanting them for.

If you want them for market class for 4H: try to find ones with a quick growth rate (one of the problems I see with show line rex is that they take a while to mature, which isn't ideal for fryer and meat pens) and a new-zealand like, commercial body. Because some of their breeding has been focused on coat instead of type though, breeds that are bred strictly for type often beat them: I'd advise you to go with new zealands or californians for market class instead.

If you want them for open/breeding class: try to find ones with both a new-zealand like, commercial body and a short, plush coat. One of the most common coat faults you see in rex is a lack of density, where the fur will just seem soft and cottony without any real resilience or plushness. You want the fur to be thick enough that it stands up on its own. Though as a baby it will usually seem thinner than it is as an adult.

SableSteel":9etxhzk8 said:
It depends on what you are wanting them for.

If you want them for market class for 4H: try to find ones with a quick growth rate (one of the problems I see with show line rex is that they take a while to mature, which isn't ideal for fryer and meat pens) and a new-zealand like, commercial body. Because some of their breeding has been focused on coat instead of type though, breeds that are bred strictly for type often beat them: I'd advise you to go with new zealands or californians for market class instead.

If you want them for open/breeding class: try to find ones with both a new-zealand like, commercial body and a short, plush coat. One of the most common coat faults you see in rex is a lack of density, where the fur will just seem soft and cottony without any real resilience or plushness. You want the fur to be thick enough that it stands up on its own. Though as a baby it will usually seem thinner than it is as an adult.

I'm looking for a show animal. i found a rabbitry called Mink Hallow. I have my eyes on a 3-month doe. Her Mother is a champion, but she supposedly has some posing issues. do you think that can be fixed with handling?

It depends. At 3 months old it could just be that the rabbit is impatient and the owner is as well. If the posing problems persist even with training and even as she gets older, it could be structural, where posing actually makes her feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately is something I see in rex & mini rex a lot, especially ones with a bit narrower of frames.

I checked out Mink Hollow Rabbitry's website and they look like a show breeder who knows their own rabbits, though I am not super enthused about the body type on some of those sale rabbits.

SableSteel":3bp6natq said:
It depends. At 3 months old it could just be that the rabbit is impatient and the owner is as well. If the posing problems persist even with training and even as she gets older, it could be structural, where posing actually makes her feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately is something I see in rex & mini rex a lot, especially ones with a bit narrower of frames.

I checked out Mink Hollow Rabbitry's website and they look like a show breeder who knows their own rabbits, though I am not super enthused about the body type on some of those sale rabbits.

what would you suggest? I couldn't find any other reputable show breeders for a larger rabbit, (7 pounds is my minimum) Mink Hollow is the only active large breed rabbitry in my area, although, I could buy privately.

Latest posts

Back