Is This A Good Price?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
I have been thinking about how much I should price my rabbits when I start breeding and producing and I think it would be nice to see other peoples opinion how much the rabbits should cost. Now keep in mind these rabbits are incredibly great show rabbits as a singular rabbit at their rabbitry has over 50 legs and like 10 BIS wins. Also there rabbitry as a whole has earned a grand total of 64 BIS along with their many RIS and best 4 class wins. Also before I forget to tell you, they are Havanas. Now I will get into their prices:

Show Rabbits are $125+

Show Rabbits with youth discount $50-$75

Pet Rabbits: $10

Now what I think for prices:

Show Rabbits: $100+

Brood: $75+

Pet Rabbits: $30

I don't know what I want for youth discounts and pair and trio discounts yet.

I price pets/broods at the same that are pedigreed and tattooed at $75 and everything better quality $100, but I've never shown so I think your prices seem good

I would definitely charge more than $10 for pet rabbits.

I find if they are priced too low, you get the worst possible pet buyers out there.

$30 is Ok for mine, but the breed matters. Not much demand out there for poorly marked harlequins. A cute pet breed could get more. A good meat breed could get more.. :lol: Harlis are kind of in the middle, they make fine backyard "garden helpers" but don't really stand out much in most areas.

Zass":d54zhgpo said:
I would definitely charge more than $10 for pet rabbits.

I find if they are priced too low, you get the worst possible pet buyers out there.

$30 is Ok for mine, but the breed matters. Not much demand out there for poorly marked harlequins. A cute pet breed could get more. A good meat breed could get more.. :lol: Harlis are kind of in the middle, they make fine backyard "garden helpers" but don't really stand out much in most areas.

Not only do you get bad buyers but you don't normally come out even either. I had a guy say he couldn't buy the rabbit because the gas money was to much :| it was about a 20 minute drive! It also really depends on the market for pets. Here, petstores can't sell rabbits so it's really easy. If pet stores around you sell, you can sell to them or charge $5 cheaper than them and advertise on the billboards outside. Start higher and work your way down. It's safer than starting cheap and bumping up. $20 worked for mixes and $30 for pures without papers or anything here. Whereas a pedigree pure holland could go for $200 here. I price $75-$100 so I stick out as cheaper but not cheap

Something else to think about is whether or not you have trained them. If you have trained the pet rabbit and preconditioned them for the new owner, then I would charge over $100. I don't sell any rabbits for pets that have not been trained.

We price ours with the males much cheaper than the females. Otherwise, we end up with way too many bucks.

We have English angoras and we're on Hawaii Island so it's a fairly limited market unless they fly somewhere. Adding in some pretty significant shipping costs can turn a $50 rabbit into a $275 cost by the time it reaches another island. Which is why the price is pretty low. At the moment, males are $50 and females are $75 and there's variable prices for adult breeding pairs. In our area, it's hard to get in new genetics, so I'm always hopeful that other folks will set up their own herd so we will would be able to swap bucks back and forth. So far (it's been 11 years) there aren't any other herds on this island I'm able to swap bucks with. Maybe it's different in your area, though, but there's a lot of different things that go into determining the price of a rabbit.

There aren't any rabbit shows on our island and it's too difficult to get them shifted between islands to go to another island for a show. Oahu is about the only island that has shows and they don't have any inexpensive hotels over there. So, it'd be airfare for the people, rent a car, rent a hotel if it's more than just a day trip, any costs for the show which considering everything else are minimal, but they all add up. So, even though we can breed a show quality rabbit, it won't have any show points so we don't price them as high as if they were officially show rabbits.

I've never thought about charging more for trained rabbits! I sell holland lops so they are basically born tame and it's easy to litterbox and harness train them. I've never charged more than $100 but ig if they are trained it wouldn't be a crazy idea

Hey thanks for all the replies people! About the training thing I personally wouldn't sell more for a rabbit if it was trained or not unless it was trained in rabbit hopping and/or agility. I wouldn't personally pay more for a trained rabbit, but that is just me.

I think I'm going to stick with these prices for now unless I change my mind later. Again, thanks everyone!

At $10 for pet rabbits, if they come from show stock, I'd buy up a dozen of them and breed them and then save the best from them and see how they turn out. IMHO, the pet price is too low, that is even lower than meat rabbit prices.

Oh, wait, you've raised the pet price on yours to $30? (the second set of numbers are the ones you're considering for your stock?) So, you can buy them from the show breeder for $10 as pets? Depending on why the show breeder has them listed as pets, if it's something non-genetic (missing a toe, damaged ears, etc.) then but the 'pets' and breed them for show stock.

Back