Born to death timeline?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
**If this is posted somewhere please send me a link I tried to look on the site before posting now**

Can someone fill in the blanks for me on a meat rabbits time frame of events. Here is what I know about.

(Usually)
-27-31 days after mating kits are born
-10 days later kits eyes open, make pellets accessible to kits
-5 weeks after birth doe weens kits, doe can safely/humanly be rebreed
-@5ish weeks kits should be sexed and separated male from female
- 8-10 weeks after birth kits should average butcher weight and can be sent to freezer camp.
2.5-3 years after being born the female is done with successful kits.
Is my timeline accurate? Btw I know does CAN be breed asap in some cases but milk dries up quickly.

Where in this do bucks become successful studs and when can does (general meat breed) safely raise kits and not be dopey or too young to get a good motherly instinct?
I know this is largely on a rabbit by rabbit biases with many exception for sooner but would like to take a screen shot of the replies so I always can review if I forget.
Being newer still I think a timeline would really help.
Thanks!

I think,
** kits don't need to be "sexed" and separated until butcher date [8 to 10 weeks]
then you can just worry about those you are going to keep for breeders.
** with a 5 week rebreed I often got 4 + years out of a doe. [it depends a lot on your stock]
** i choose to breed does at about 6 months, same with new bucks.
[lots of people breed earlier]
People who keep an un sexed litter together for 3 months often have pregnant siblings.

michaels4gardens":1zal7we0 said:
I think,
** kits don't need to be "sexed" and separated until butcher date [8 to 10 weeks]
then you can just worry about those you are going to keep for breeders.
** with a 5 week rebreed I often got 4 + years out of a doe. [it depends a lot on your stock]
** i choose to breed does at about 6 months, same with new bucks.
[lots of people breed earlier]
People who keep an un sexed litter together for 3 months often have pregnant siblings.
Thank you that is what I wanted to know. This is all bits and pieces I read here and their so I wanted to make sure I had it down.

Since I'm not looking into mass production and want some rest for the rabbits this is perfect!

Even better not separating my cull ones

Latest posts

Back