Kits grow out how much grain

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to switch to natural diet I am free feeding hay I was just wondering how much to grain to feed a nursing doe and her kits that just started eating. I was just wondering how much you feed your rabbits.

I have some newzealands with babies that are 3/4NZ and. 1/4 Cali and I have some half Rex Half giant chinchilla babies with a Rex mom both batches are about 3 weeks oldbut have noticed them starting to eat. I am also getting a couple young Dutch does 7 weeks old so I know they will need Less.

What grain(s) are you feeding? And are you feeding anything else besides hay and grain? What did you feed before and when did you start your transition?
We switched our original trio (NZW does and a SF buck) from pellets to natural feed before we bred them so going forward we've kept rabbits to breed that did well on natural feed. We feed quite a lot of forage as well as hay--just growing out kits and nursing does get grain here.

I used to feed pellets 18 percent protein from feed store I am now feeding 3 parts wheat 1 part boss a pinch of rolled oats on some days and just bought some flax to use like the oats just a pinch. I will also be feeding some rutabaga tops in winter and right now sweet potatoes vines. I am trying to add different forage also. I am still adding some pellets I have on hand started transitioning a few weeks ago but I have always free feed hay usually Bermuda hay and alfalfa oat or alfalfa Timothy hay cubes.

For nursing mothers and growing kits (up to about five to six months) around here they're pretty much fed as much as they want.

The bunnies here are angoras, so they're fed high protein bunny pellets as the base feed with rolled barley & BOSS added in. They also get lots of various forages. Around here it's tall grasses (Guinea, cane, elephant, Reznor, etc.) as well as mulberry leaves and twigs, ti leaves, assorted herbs, dandelions, plantain, etc., etc. We don't feed hay because it's too expensive (almost $40 a small bale) and it mildews too quickly.

I've noticed that if they are fed a variety of things as babies, they're much more receptive to new foods as adults. If they've only had a very limited diet ad youngsters, they sometimes won't expand their diet to other things as adults.

Latest posts

Back