Moving a pregnant rabbit from pasture to pen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbennett72

Reaction score
We are new to rabbits. We have a traditional wire-suspended-cage set up for our New Zealand breeding pair. On most sunny days, the rabbits are transferred to wire cages with larger mesh bottoms and are essentially pastures from daylight to dark. Today, we bred the doe for the first time. I’ve heard mixed advice about handling pregnant does. Will it be sage to continue to move her daily between pasture and wire cage? We have nest box prepared in the wire cage, so when should we stop handling her?

I've handled rabbits just hours before they gave birth. It's no problem if she's used to being handled. I like to bring them indoors to have their litters.

I see no problem, my does get a lot of garden time (ca.250m²) every day, and go back in their hutches over night. Once nestbuilding starts I keep them in the hutch, also the first and maybe second day after kindling until I'm sure the kits got fed.

Right now I'm waiting for the second doe in that hutch to kindle, I put in a seperator during night so she can't use the already occupied nestbox, which was hers last year, without me noticing. I also have to watch out that they don't build the nest in one of the tunnels they dig.

If you carry them to and fro, be careful, some get quite sensitive about what touches their bellies.

a7736100":12yr5tsp said:
I've handled rabbits just hours before they gave birth. It's no problem if she's used to being handled. I like to bring them indoors to have their litters.
‘Used to being handled’, is a bit subjective, with our doe. She is quite feisty and has been from the beginning. The buck is much better natured and could be considered more of a pet. There is no amount of bribery or kindness that seems to make her friendly. She is held securely during the 50 foot walk to her pastured spot, but sometimes she kicks and tries to jump. Just wanted to be be sure it wouldn’t harm the babies. Thanks everyone for your input!

Back