One year in, thoughts on my utility king pigeons

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohiogoatgirl":t07trqra said:
Since considering pigeons again I've noticed grey doves I believe. They make the weird noise when they take off
If you hear the weird noise as soon as they start flapping there wings. Then the noise is caused by air flow around the wing tips. From when I used to bird watch more than I do now, I remember many species of pigeon/doves make different sounds when they take off from the ground.

GBov":t07trqra said:
I think - though I may be wrong - that doves only breed seasonally?
Don't know anything about domestic doves. But Wild doves (mourning doves) have a breeding session from early spring to late fall in Texas. Doves hatched in early spring can raise babies that same session in the late fall.

Since considering pigeons again I've noticed grey doves I believe. They make the weird noise when they take off :roll: I think they are pretty much the same needs and care as pigeons. Think I could set up a feed station in a cage then add the trap door like a flight door for pigeons? Not sure if a regular seed mix would entice them, being rural. Though there isn't a lot of cropland in the area it's mostly woods, cows, hay, then either corn or soy.

Ohiogoatgirl, Mourning doves are a native species, and are protected from trapping and captive raising like other native birds. They can however, be hunted with a permit.

Trapping feral pigeons is permitted because they are non-native; all are descended from a domestic species brought here by colonists.

Latest posts

Back