Rabbitry set up help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So my rabbitry just kinda happened and I set it up when i was 12 so to no supersize the setup isn't the best. I drew it up and was hoping you guys could either end pics of your setup for ideas or just give some advice. The main problem I have is feeding and watering all of the individual cages and the giant mess of cables on the floor.

Attachments

• 4b34309e-d2f8-4f33-82d0-5a223bcddd13.pdf
    198.3 KB · Views: 98
Well, if there's an automatic watering system, then you'd not have to fill water bottles. Is there any way to get some sort of feed trough that would be able to be filled from the exterior? Or one which could feed several spaces?

golden rabbitry":xvby07ct said:
can they system freeze in winter?

my opinion on Water systems, ...

The piping will freeze in cold weather unless you make the pipe return to the float tank [closed loop]
and.. have a small circulation pump in the pipeline ,to be plugged in / turned on when you expect freezing weather. [well worth the investment in my opinion... the rabbits will always have water, and you won't have to figure out how to keep water dishes full, for a doe and litter]

I would recommend using colored pex pipe [not white ] , as long as all pipe and fittings are on the outside of the cage .
[PVC has a short life, and if it freezes it will shatter.]

From what i see, and read , ... I "assume" you're not trying to go "commercial" .

When i built a commercial rabbitry, i had galvanized pipe that ran along the back of the cages about 9 or 10 inches above the cage floor.[sometimes i tossed a block of wood ,or piece of cinder block in the cage under the water nipple so very young rabbits could reach it.] The rows of cages were built back to back. One pipeline watered both sides. [it was more of a pain to work on clogged waterer nipples, with that set up]. Water nipples rarely clog if you keep your tank clean, and use clean water, or chlorinated city water to fill it.

one more word of advise... don't buy "cheap" waterer nipples.. buy from a reputable commercial supplier . [like Bass] They have a solid rod the rabbits push on to get a drink, so it doesn't wear through,or wear out very fast , - or leak water all the time, and they are usually trouble free for at least 5 years, sometimes more than 10 years...[ JMHO ] ...

I added bigger bottles but I am not sure if one rabbit understands how to use it. He is acting thirsty and was using a bowl for the short period that it took to buy new ones for the new cage and now he acts like he's never seen one even though he used one before. Any tips how to get him to understand and drink more?

Back