How much will a rabbit eat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay well sense i haven't had rabbits for almost 4 years now I am on here asking question's.

I am picking up 3 young 4 month old Standard Rex rabbits 2 bucks 1 doe

2 1 year old sisters ( 1 with 3 day old kids) ( and another recently Bred 11/21/2018) Standard Rex doe's

MY question is how much should I feed the younger 4 month old rabbits I am probably going to self feed the older doe's sense 1 is nursing and the other is pregnant.

But how much feed will i be giving to the younger rabbits I don't want them to get to fat to where when they are ready to breed they won't.

But i Will also be feeding Timothy Hay I can get the best bale of timothy hay near me. but I am going to keep them on the feed that they will be eating sense i can get that local to.

I do plan on feeding them carrot's,pumpkins,squash and any other veggie they can have so they would have fresh veggie's every other day.

Personally I would not free feed the pregnant one. I'd give a normal ration, about a cup a day for a good size standard rex is about what I would give, but it can vary on weather and lines and food.
The four month olds I would be comfortable free feeding (esp. in rex where underweight animals are pretty common) but if I were to limit their feed I would also give about a cup.

I always check the condition of the rabbit by feeling the backbone area, [since rabbits can be so different from each other in feed needs], - If they have "good condition", I would follow recommendations above... if they are "heavy, I would cut the ration by 1/4 until they get to "good condition" - if they are "light"/ skinny, I would increase the feed until they have a little "cover"...

Thank you both sablesteel and Michaels4gardens.

I thought it was that feeding routine I just couldn't remember L O L even though it is a simple rule of feeding if the rabbit is to skinny feed it more if it is to fat feed it less. L O L.

the younger rabbits will get 2 cups
the adults will get the nursing doe will 2 cups if she eats it all up during the couple hours i will give her a little more so she is in perfect condition.
the recently bred doe will get 1 1/2 cups.

it all depends on how much the breeder is feeding them that i am buying them from.

Latest posts

Back