I don't know why but yesterday my 2 y.o. pet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
male mixed rabbit jumped on my lap while I was sitting on a stool. Years ago I had another male that would jump on me when ever I'm near ground level. Wish I knew what make them do that so I can get others to do the same. Would be nice to call and have them jump into my lap.

I am not sure what makes them do that, but Tiny does it when I call him. I usually scratch behind his ears and he nibbles my shirt. Then he is off and running again.

Thats adorable, I wish I knew or had one that would do that too, if you figure it out please share:)

Velveteen lop buns will sit in your lap. My buck chases me down and if I sit for 2 seconds he is in my lap. I put him down and before I can lean back in the chair he has jumped back in my lap. It is really sweet but can get a bit much.
Even the baby velveteen lops I breed seek out my attention and love to be cuddled. It comes natural to them.

I wish I knew what would make them do that! My buck has done that too, and I hate not knowing how to teach him to do it on command.

Seems to me that the bun has to be feeling affectionately towards you at that moment for him to want to sit on your lap and be cuddled. I think that because they are prey animals, they prefer not to be in a situation that makes them feel confined.

Starting when they are young and never forcing the issue while rewarding the desired behaviour consistently may work.

Understanding your rabbit's body language and signals will also help.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Depends partially on the personality of the rabbit and partially how they are raised. Some will always be standoffish and not really like contact and some I've had lay around watching tv on me. Some like to lay near me but not touch me and will use the back of the couch or something for hours if left there. I always had a "movie bunny" out of the ND or mini rex. They hold poop and pee better than guinea pigs. :roll: Others preferred exploring and some outright would take chunks out of my arm if they felt their space was invaded too often. Even if they were fine with basic handling for care or showing. They simply did not want to hang around people any extra time necessary.

Latest posts

Back