Two new French Angora

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
Hello, my highly anticipated French Angora pair are finally here from Six Gun! They were on transport for much longer than originally supposed to be and have lost condition I'm guessing from traveling stress. The doe is extremely skinny while the buck is underweight, both are eating hay and drinking water but I haven't noticed much food missing from their bowls as of the whole 24 hours I've had them. They are both in full coat and I've got a question.

What would be best:

Shear them so I can keep a better visual on their body condition?

OR

Leave them in full coat and just make sure they are getting what they need to fatten back up to normal weight? (Checking by feel rather than sight)

Rapid loss of condition is usually due to dehydration.
Perhaps from being in a hot vehicle?

I'd make sure they have access to salt and minerals, as well as plenty of water. Maybe in a bowl instead of a bottle, for easier lapping? Also, check their stool.

Zass":2fjjipzd said:
Rapid loss of condition is usually due to dehydration.
Perhaps from being in a hot vehicle?

I wouldn't have thought it would be too hot, transport got stuck in snowstorms up North (down south if you're in Canada ;)) I had to have a friend meet the transporter I couldn't get out of work to drive the 3 hour round trip, she said they both drank a lot of water the night she had them and the doe ate a lot of hay while the buck was devouring his pellets.

They are inside, so I can keep an eye on them while it isn't really too hot here yet, highs in the mid-70's what most people keep their houses at. <br /><br /> -- Fri May 04, 2018 9:10 pm -- <br /><br /> But the question remains, to shear or not to shear?

They are both sheared and doing very good. Ghost has always eaten well, he's a big ole softy too, and Freyja is having a good time with the Holland girls in the colony, she is the queen and she knows it.

Oddly enough, when we first got Ghost, he wouldnt eat for almost ten days. Just minor amounts of water. I was going out of my mind. I think shows and such really helped him respond more positively to change and stress.

Latest posts

Back