Trying to Identify...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So there is some animal hanging out around my rabbits. Must not be anything with any ill will towards my rabbits or it would've attacked by now. We let the dogs out tonight and they started barking at it. We heard the sound it made and it reminded me of something between a Pew sound and a Phew. I don't know how to really describe it, it was pitch dark and we didn't see it but heard it more than once as it ran over into our neighbor's yard *It's fenced or we would've followed* It must not be big since it's able to climb, but it also appears not to be anything that flies. I'll keep an eye out for it as well as see about getting a live trap (or a few) and setting them up, mostly cause I wanna know what's over there. Any ideas of what it could be? I live in Burnsville, NC in the mountains. I'm right off the highway but behind the house and the neighbor's fenced field there are woods but they don't go far before hitting the South Toe River. I myself looked up animals native to here and listened to their sounds with my boyfriend.

I love my automatic wildlife camera, is really worth the 90€, it makes trapping much easier and it is reassuring to know that nothing visits in the night.

My first thought was hedgehog, but they don't climb.

I did youtube it. According to the sounds we have no clue haha. So.. We've been letting our dogs into the area where the animal has been. It made a really weird sound. If we hear it again tonight I'll take an audio recording of it and put it on youtube, that way you guys can hear it. I thought it was a raccoon but it's not making the same sound... I even looked up Mink, Weasel, etc. I doubt it's a bird since it didn't fly. <br /><br /> -- October 3rd, 2016, 5:31 pm -- <br /><br /> Got a youtube video of the sound although it was too dark to see it even when I searched with a flashlight before and after the noise was being made. https://youtu.be/qDIWqna8V-0

If it's not harming your rabbits, it's likely after your rabbit's feed.
My guess would be some squirrel, so I did a bit of searching and found a video of Southern Flying Squirrel making a similar sound to the one in your video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzT-GprEAk)
I don't know much about the animal, but I don't think any "Flying Squirrel" truly flies, just glides/jumps, so I imagine it would have to climb up a tree.
If not a flying squirrel, I would think some sort of other species of squirrel.

Good luck though, trying to handle whatever type of critter it is.

I live in TN and grew up in the woods so I'll help as best I can. I've heard this sound before, but never really thought about it. It sounds to me like a mink, weasel, or a type of rat. All are native to our states and all can climb trees/fences. Look up their sounds. Most of what you'll find are screams, because the animal is afraid of the people videoing it, but it you can imagine it just chattering instead you'll get an idea if what it'd sound like

-- Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am --

Also if it is a mink, weasel, or rat don't let it stick around. Whatever it is will get comfortable, and eventually (and probably quickly) try it's hand at going after kits. Adult rabbits are too big, but their food likely attracted it (it happens, nothing can stop that), but throw new rabbit kits in the mix and you've got trouble

It seems like, If I remember correctly, our chickens tore up a rat between this posting and now.. As well as, there are several squirrels in the area around us, especially with the huge pine trees, they LOVE to play up in them.

Latest posts

Back