Transporting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The going rate in our area is $20. I have never done it myself, but I know others who do. And they continue to offer it, so I dont believe its too much extra work for them. One of the obvious drawbacks would be if somthing hapenend to someone elses bunny while in your care for transport. Hopefully someone else can weigh in, but what happens if a rabbt rips out a toenail or is more severly injured, or even dies, during transport? These are some of the worse case senarios, but I would just be thinking of how you intend to handle those kinds of situations, and who will assume the responsibility. Probably wont have to deal with that much, but it is possible. Hope it goes well for you!

I'd be pretty interested in learning more about where I can find transporters. I know FB is supposed to be good for that, but I'm stubbornly resistant to getting an account. Does anyone know of any other sources? I'm probably going to have to look at bringing in some new Satin Angoras at some point and there are very few breeders in the area that have unrelated lines, sooo....

If RT would do so, that would be another great way to locate folks! I will say that I do usually see them on facebook, on the livestock or rabbit pages offereing their services also. I have wanted to use my facebook less, or get rid of it all together, except for things like this! And keeping in touch with extended family:) Its not good in many ways but does have its occasional benefits.

I would love if RT allowed a listing. I post transports on Facebook, but, the big transporter, won't allow me to post on her page, which I understand.

I'm doing a transport for the next two weeks in a row. I don't find it to be too much trouble, but I always worry about the buns I'm transporting.

I approve of the idea of a non-Facebook listing.

But I am heavily biased: I noped-out of Facebook in early January. I haven't had much reason to miss it, but have noticed one two or three occasions that it is the sole source of information on certain things. It's nice to have secondary sources.

i would love a RT transporting listing. i don't use facebook either and even though i know i could just ask here and i could probably find someone, it'd be great to just have a list of people to message without having to make a thread. i'd even be willing to do some driving myself :)

I've been asked to transport later this spring. I have also had buns delivered by "professional" transporters ... It is how they make their living, really nice older retired couple!

Anyway, we sat down for a meal and I got to ask a lot of questions.

1. What about illness? They worried about that constantly, but used a vinegar/water spray of the cages between animals (rabbits, Guinea pigs, goats, chickens, etc) and refused any with obvious health issues.

2. What if one dies ... Accidents do happen? Yes, that had happened, so their policy was to notify seller and buyer and they would deliver the carcass to buyer if they wanted, some did some didn't, but they had a small chest freezer in their truck just for that.

3. What about feed/water? All were required to provide feed in a plastic container with a snap on lid, with rabbit name, sellers name and buyers name on it. Some also provided water some didn't. Same with hay, but it should be in a tyvek feed bag (we all got those LOL) also with names on the front.

Basically, stops to check on the animals and overnight stops were the only times the back of the truck was opened, but the nightly rest stop was when cages were cleaned. They also did NOT handle any animal or cage any more than absolutely necessary. They also didn't have a radio playing like they used to ... some folks keep a radio playing in their rabbitry so other strange noises don't disturb the rabbits. They said the road noises did that just fine :)

They also said that they did prefer that Angoras be sheared for transport but didn't require it.

ETA: They used hanging water bottles, so any animal for transport should be accustomed to those, but they would accept animals who didn't, and they watered them 2x per day in a crock that is provided by the seller. Too much chance of disease being transferred for them to dink around with crocks.

They also had their own cages, but would absolutely transport in a sellers cage if provided.

Back