All color questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
So I was trying to find a topic for color genetics etc... And did not find anything quite right so thought maybe I could start one. So if anyone has color questions : kit color, color genetics etc ask away! I'll get us started though!

So I bred my black tort doe and my "vm broken tort" buck. I got one magpie and one vm torted otter. Yes. I was surprised! So im thinking my buck may be a vm tri. So this all sparked my interest in color genetics. So I started charting and want to run it by all you who know more then I.

My doe is a black tort her danm was blue and sire was sable point + the torted otter and magpie I could so far conclude the following correct?

aa B_ C_ Dd ee en vv

And my tri colored buck whos mom was a broken tort... Or maybe tri.. And dad was a BEW (had the same kits stated above) can conclude?

Aat B_ C(chd?)D_ eje En_ V

Please correct me if I am wrong. Learning all this is fascinating me.

cowgirl9768":8j9xnr9c said:
My doe is a black tort her danm was blue and sire was sable point + the torted otter and magpie I could so far conclude the following correct?

aa B_ C_ Dd ee en vv
Almost correct,

Vienna is actually recessive so a "vv" rabbit would be a BEW, a Vienna marked "Vv" and a non Vienna/normal "VV".

Also, your doe must have light shaded/sable or himilayan or REW on her C-locus as her sire was a sable

Her genotype would be - aa B_ C cchl (or ch or c) Dd ee en VV

And my tri colored buck whos mom was a broken tort... Or maybe tri.. And dad was a BEW (had the same kits stated above) can conclude?

Aat B_ C(chd?)D_ eje En_ V
Tri colours do not have to be agouti and can be self based instead.

Also, there are sable based magpies so there is no guarantee he has the dark shaded/chinchilla gene

His genotype would be - A(or a)at B_ Ccchd(or cchl or ch or c) D_ eje En_ Vv

Please don't use either of these rabbits in a BEW program - sable will ruin the eye colour of your BEWs, if you get sable underneath BEW.

Bad Habit":1jtzjpds said:
Please don't use either of these rabbits in a BEW program - sable will ruin the eye colour of your BEWs, if you get sable underneath BEW.

i will watch for this, but since my tort has won BOB three times (with up to 25 other buns). I feel it is worth the risk of having to cull the bad ones to get her type into my BEW herd. Since they both have C genes atleast 1/4 their kits will be CC. So I am going to go for it and see what I get. And if I have to cull some kits the raptor rescue center is always greatful when I can help them out with my donations. <br /><br /> -- Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am -- <br /><br /> Dood thank for the corrections! Very helpful.

I wonder how my litter will look when they are older.

Doe is broken black (don`t know the ancestors, but german checkerd was among them), buck red new zealand.

fotografija0236.jpg

fotografija0238.jpg

fotografija0240.jpg

If I breed doelings back to their father, would I get that new zealand red colour in their litters?

Nika; next time start a new thread as not everyone revisits posts they've already read and your question may get missed :)

They all look like chestnuts and "booted" broken chestnuts.

An you are correct, these kits will all carry the non extension and wideband gene ( which turns chestnuts into reds) so if bred back to their father you should get reds (or broken a Reds if the kit you chose is broken) and you might get fawn which are reds with white bellies who lack the wideband gene

Dood":31weuju0 said:
Nika; next time start a new thread as not everyone revisits posts they've already read and your question may get missed :)

Not to be cheeky, but for the original poster~ there is a whole board dedicated to colors and genetics on this forum~ it sounds like you may not have found it yet.
That's where you'll find tons of past posts and a great place for these questions :D

Back