So...how does one buy buns at a show?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinea

Reaction score
I am starting to plan for my rabbitry and thinking I might buy a breeding trio from a show. But I have no idea how to go about it. I would love some advice. Here are a few questions:
- do the breeders advertise buns for sale at the show or do I have to ask?
- do I have wait until the end of the show to get them?
- for transport, I have a pet carrier. Do I need something else? (I would separate the does from the buck)
- if I buy at the Louisville show, I am looking at about a 4 1/2 hour drive home- anything I need to do to make sure they're ok?
- I have a general idea on what questions to ask about the rabbits (age, health, diet). Any questions I should ask that I might not think of?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. We planned out our cage set up last night, and it's getting exciting now.

Most breeders will have a white board listing rabbits for sale. If the for sale rabbits are entered in the show you may need to wait until the end, but otherwise not.

If you know which breed you are interested in, I would contact the show secretary and ask to have your contact information forwarded to the breeders who will be attending in the hopes that you can arrange a purchase in advance of the show.

A wire pet carrier is better than the enclosed plastic type for ventilation, but shouldn't be an issue for that span of time. It is the buildup of ammonia fumes that causes problems in an enclosed space. I would use pelleted horse bedding or wood stove pellets as bedding.

You will want to provide water or some type of electrolyte solution for the trip home. It isn't absolutely necessary- my rabbits had made a six hour trip to my rendezvous point without access to water, but I made sure they had it for the 2-1/2 hour trip home.

I would ask the breeders specifically about any routine medications they give. I personally want unmedicated animals.

Congrats in advance! I can't wait to see your new stock!

Medications! Totally missed that one. Thanks MSD!

As to the breed, I am going there with a breed in mind, but...I know myself, I could come home with something completely different :)

That said, the plan is to start with a single breed, get everything going, work out any kinks, then add a second breed. The breed of choice at the moment is silver foxes. The second breed, again, for now, is mini lops. There are two months until the Louisville show, though, so that may change.<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, another question!

I was thinking of buying juniors. My reasoning is that they have time to get used to me, their new set up, and life in general before breeding. Are juniors usually available for buying at shows? And is it a good ides?

I have a Mini lop buck you can have-- his parents are registered, and he is up to weight!!!!!!!Arrange transport, he is yours!!!

Buying juniors is a good idea for them and for you. :) There are all ages available for sale.

Bad Terry, bad!!

My SECOND breed, down the road, may be mini lops. I can't get one now, I can't! *won't look at any pics of him*

This is why I am not saying for certain what I will come home with :p

Marinea":tqz3mrfg said:
Bad Terry, bad!!

My SECOND breed, down the road, may be mini lops. I can't get one now, I can't! *won't look at any pics of him*

This is why I am not saying for certain what I will come home with :p

*enabling mode in high gear*

C'mon-- you KNOW you want to give this poor, unwanted boy a home-- he is surrounded by Rex and AmChin genetics-- he KNOWS he does not 'fit' in my plans---

*enabling mode in 'idle'*

I have actually never had a rabbit pee or drink while being transported... not even when we moved from Florida to Louisiana. :shock: We'd stop, I'd offer water, and they'd just sit there like a bunch of statues.

But definitely make sure they have some wood pellets or shavings, and do offer drink, but don't be surprised if they don't take it.

The show we went to, it took me a while to figure out which rabbits were for sale. It was a bit disorganized. I'm sure if it was hard enough to tell, you could ask the people around the rabbits you are looking at. :)

Look the prospective purchases over really well.

Look for bright, clear, dry eyes; smooth, healthy-looking fur; clean nose, clean ears, clean front paws and legs, clean privates, and clean feet; sex the rabbits; make sure that when you have the rabbit on its back, that the back feet are parallel to each other and not forming a "V" shape.

Hopefully you can get pedigrees, but if they aren't pedigreed, do make sure you find out how old they are.

Another thing to ask is whether they breed for meat or for show (I'm assuming you want rabbits for meat). If they breed only for show, be careful. Sometimes, meat characteristics are bred out for show animals. Things like large litter sizes. Ask what the typical litter size for their rabbits is. Champagnes are a meat breed, but I met a man at the show who selects for small litter size. He breeds them for litter sizes of no more than 4! He doesn't cull to that number, he breeds for it.

Good luck! :)

I would never have thought of the question in that last paragraph Miss M. That is a huge deal, and I thank you very much for that.

If I am not the only newbie when it comes to buying at shows, I sincerely hope this can help others. Keep the tips coming!

I've had people offer to sell me rabbits at shows if I stop and admire their animals for more than two seconds. :lol: I love going to shows...I've never shown a rabbit but it is so fun I went to several last year.

When all else fails, ask! :) If you want, say...Mini Lops, look around and find someone with Mini Lops and say "I'm looking for some Mini Lops, do you or anyone you know have any available today?" They might, and if they don't they can usually point you across the room to someone who does. :) Just be aware that if they have a rabbit that needs to get to a table, you'll have to wait til they are done. ;)

Yes and look at the tables and see when your breed will be showing - that way in case you cannot find a specific person in the crowd you might see them bring your rabbit up.

You can also offer to clerk for the judge showing your breed - at least for that breed class any maybe one more on each side. Tell the show secretary you're wanting to learn how to select breeders and are willing to volunteer (maybe an hour?) for the knowledge :D Of course that is if you are an organized individual and can write legibly.

My biggest advice to people going to shows or planning on buying at shows is to make friends with those in the breed you are looking at. Those people or person will be your biggest allie/s.

I have one very, very good friend I work with a lot on our breed. We text each other tips if we see something for sale, or know of another breeder planning on having things for sale. We meet up at shows often as well.

Kind of like divide and conquer.

Shows can be hectic, with people running around, putting their rabbits on the table, grooming. So it's nice to have another person or two stroll around and look at what might interest you then tip you off. Most do have white boards that I have noticed.

It's also nice to have another set of eyes to look at rabbits with you. Two opinions are better then one sometimes.

It can be hard to make friends and I have been showing for three years almost and I still get snubbed by some of the "older" Breeders. But after meeting my friend, Its a lot easier and less stressful.

Another thing is stand by the area where your selected breed is showing, and listen in to conversations. I guess eves drop almost. Sometimes you can hear breeders talking about wanting to sell or having for sale certain rabbits that may even be up on the table at that present moment, but not have listed on their boards.

Good luck have a ton of fun and share a ton of pictures!

Rabbits generally don't eat or drink while being driven around in a car, so there isn't much point in giving them water unless you want it spilled everywhere. Instead, pad the cages with hay (NOT alfalfa) to lessen the shocks of the road. Give food and water once you get home.

Most breeders will have signs up if they have things for sale. You can always ask if you see something interesting. They might have something in the future or know someone who does have some for sale. There will be all ages for sale, generally juniors from around 3 months and up to seniors. Some people may charge more for pedigrees (doesn't really matter if you're buying for meat breeds). Sometimes you can bargain down the price as well depending on the breeder and the rabbits.

Thank you all so very much for the info! I now feel I am ready to venture out to a show. And now that I feel that way, I hate that I have to wait two whole months!!

If anyone thinks of anything else, please add it. You really don't know how much more confident I feel now after reading all of your replies.

Marinea":p6ty9ul5 said:
As to the breed, I am going there with a breed in mind, but...I know myself, I could come home with something completely different :)

That said, the plan is to start with a single breed, get everything going, work out any kinks, then add a second breed. The breed of choice at the moment is silver foxes. The second breed, again, for now, is mini lops. There are two months until the Louisville show, though, so that may change.

__________ Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm __________

Oh, another question!

I was thinking of buying juniors. My reasoning is that they have time to get used to me, their new set up, and life in general before breeding. Are juniors usually available for buying at shows? And is it a good ides?

On the first question: Good idea to start off with one breed in mind. That allows you to concentrate on rabbits which have gotten your first interest. Do not buy anything until you've talked to the breeders at length and gotten a feel for their personalities. If they seem a little shady or don't seem to be answering the questions you ask honestly and forthcoming, keep looking. You are bound to run into breeders who will only want to sell you their culls as opposed to anything they'd personally use in their own breeding program, and newbies are where they tend to start. If you have reached the end of your rope in your showroom search and still nothing interests you, start with another breed and keep silver foxes on your backburner for a future breed.

Juniors are a good place to start, but be prepared to not breed until the fall. The heat of the summer across much of the country isn't particularly good to have does littering in. Also, before committing to buying anything from anyone, wait and see how the judges rate them in their classes and listen carefully to their remarks. They may ultimately find something which the owner and everyone else overlooked.

Louisville and the Kentucky Cup shows are a good place to see and choose from some fine specimens in a wide variety of breeds. Look at everything in the breeds you're primarily interested, and choose after making the most educated decision you can.

Marinea (apologies for the misspelling in another topic)

You said you were interested in Silver Foxes, but you didn't say which color and that can lead to a whole 'nother set of questions.

SF come in basic black/silver, but the blue/silver is in COD and some rabbitries are breeding the blues. So, ask if the rabbit has blue in it's background. Also, if you pick up a breeding trio of say, black buck, black doe, blue doe and the buck has blue in his background, then your blue doe will give you litters of blue and black. Your black doe could also give blue and black in the litters if she also has blue in her background. At this time, if you do want the blues, you get a richer blue breeding with one black parent. When you breed blue to blue, some lilacs are starting to show up ... very pretty, but not on the COD horizon at all.

There is also a chocolate variety being developed, but it lost it's COD at Convention last year, so while you can get breeding stock with that in the background, be aware that it is still a few years from COD.

FYI - COD = Certificate of Development.

Also, the Silver Fox is primarily being bred as a meat/production rabbit first, show rabbit second in most rabbitries, so do ask what the average age is for reaching fryer weight. And, ask what the average weight of senior breeding does in the rabbitry are. There are some lines that are regularly reaching 14# or more as seniors! As you can see, this could limit a doe's show life :)

Thanks for the info, AnnClaire!

I'm not picky (yet) about the colors, but I have to say I am intrigued by the upcoming colors you talked about. So I will be looking around at the Louisville show even harder now :)

Oh, the spelling thing? No worries at all! Most folks just call me Mari (although if chocolate or dinner is involved, "hey you" works too :p )

These are 8 weeks tomorrow (photo at 2 days) - 5 black, 2 blue

Dorable01.jpg

These are just 2 days in this photo (b. 2/22/2013) - 5 blue, 2 black

Dorable02_zpsc4c1a07e.jpg

Latest posts

Back