plane vrs car ride

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissapell

Reaction score
I am contemplating having rabbits shipped to me by plane rather than transport. The transports all want to pickup or deliver as many as possible, which is understandable given they are trying to cover expenses. I however, am concerned about my rabbits riding next to other rabbits who might be contagious.
Would you be concerned or am I just being paranoid after dealing with the dreaded P?

lissapell":2l8pypq8 said:
I am contemplating having rabbits shipped to me by plane rather than transport. The transports all want to pickup or deliver as many as possible, which is understandable given they are trying to cover expenses. I however, am concerned about my rabbits riding next to other rabbits who might be contagious.
Would you be concerned or am I just being paranoid after dealing with the dreaded P?

Have you tried UShip? Where are you having them transported from? The cheapest air frieght I have found is Frontier Airlines....$175 for a carrier each way. And it has to be an Airline approved carrier, holding one adult, two jrs, or three weanlings.

It is actually less expensive or even in price to ship via plane. It is 100.00 for 3 in a cage with dividers so long as the weight of the buns do not exceed 30lbs. This is from an American airlines rep. I am getting 6. They will be shipped/transported from Maine to Mississippi. So far I am looking at a 2 day trip by car w/ many other rabbits or a few hours by plane.

i have not tried UShip. I will look them up.

lissapell":tfpqk5pr said:
It is actually less expensive or even in price to ship via plane. It is 100.00 for 3 in a cage with dividers so long as the weight of the buns do not exceed 30lbs. This is from an American airlines rep. I am getting 6. They will be shipped/transported from Maine to Mississippi. So far I am looking at a 2 day trip by car w/ many other rabbits or a few hours by plane.

I would verify that about the cage...AA does not take any carriers made of wire mesh. From their website: https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

The following types of kennels are prohibited: kennels made entirely of wicker, welded mesh or wire mesh; snap, soft-sided, cardboard, knock-down, folding or collapsible kennels; kennels with plastic doors; kennels with wheels (unless they are retractable, removable, taped, or otherwise rendered inoperable); and kennels with top opening doors.

And they cannot be top opening only, which most rabbit style transport cages are...<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm __________<br /><br />
lissapell":tfpqk5pr said:
This is from an American airlines rep.

I would not trust this...you need to speak to rep for the Live Animal Transport. Send an email to: [email protected]

I find the passenger reps are usually wrong about these things. Just to be on the safe side... :)

OneAcreFarm":2pn39vy0 said:
lissapell":2pn39vy0 said:

I would verify that about the cage...AA does not take any carriers made of wire mesh. From their website: https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

The following types of kennels are prohibited: kennels made entirely of wicker, welded mesh or wire mesh; snap, soft-sided, cardboard, knock-down, folding or collapsible kennels; kennels with plastic doors; kennels with wheels (unless they are retractable, removable, taped, or otherwise rendered inoperable); and kennels with top opening doors.

And they cannot be top opening only, which most rabbit style transport cages are...

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm __________

lissapell":2pn39vy0 said:

I would not trust this...you need to speak to rep for the Live Animal Transport. Send an email to: [email protected]

I find the passenger reps are usually wrong about these things. Just to be on the safe side... :)
It was not a passenger rep but I am following up. It was from the liveanimals. they sent me info specifically for rabbits. No they can not ship in wire cages.

lissapell":1fi3z5rs said:
OneAcreFarm":1fi3z5rs said:

And they cannot be top opening only, which most rabbit style transport cages are...

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm __________

It was not a passenger rep but I am following up. It was from the liveanimals. they sent me info specifically for rabbits. No they can not ship in wire cages.

Did they email it to you? I would be interested in seeing it! Since it seems it may be cheaper than Frontier and AA is going to start flying out of our local airport in Feb!

They did I will send it to you. You might read it and find I am not understanding the information.

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm __________

It is 20lb not 30 lbs<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm __________<br /><br />They have confirmed it is 4 in each compartment as long as they weigh under 20 lbs total and the space is 8 inches high with 120 square inches per live animal.

lissapell":3ruv45c7 said:
They did I will send it to you. You might read it and find I am not understanding the information.

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm __________

It is 20lb not 30 lbs

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm __________

They have confirmed it is 4 in each compartment as long as they weigh under 20 lbs total and the space is 8 inches high with 120 square inches per live animal.

I am just not sure where you are going to find a transport container they will allow that has separate compartments that does not open from the top... :thinking:

since it appears more than a handful have had questions about shipping by plane, I am attempting to post the doc American sent me for live pet rabbits. If you can figure out the cage it is 100.00 per cage to ship meeting all other guidelines.

** If it is not ok for me to post this can one of the mods please remove it?

Attachments

• Ferrets, guinnea pigs, chinchillas, rabbit, etc.pdf
    537.3 KB · Views: 83
I once saw a container of small dogs destined for a pet shop-- the crate was made of wood, one side dropped down for use as a door. The top was of wire-- to meet ventilation requirements, and the drop side had a wire mesh hole in front of each compartment. that was a long time ago---

Latest posts

Back