My new setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my new temporary setup.
I decided to put chickens in there too so the can scratch up the rabbit poo.
Gonna expirement and see how it works.
Sorry the lighting was bad on them.

Attachments

• 00057.jpg
    00057.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 2,864
  • 00075.jpg
    00075.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 2,864
Nice, are those stock panels? Do the cages hang directly from them? I like this!

In an open area like that, the only real problem I had with chickens was that they INSISTED on roosting on top of the cages. Maybe clipping the wings and giving them low roosts would help. I also found they made everything perpetually dusty, but they DID keep the manure aerated and cleaned up everything the rabbits wasted!

Oooo, I really reallly like it! It gives me all kinds of ideas!

I wonder if in winter you made a portion of the ceiling or side walls clear, if you would get a nice warm bunny barn? And then if you made shelves above the cages you could start a huge amount of seedlings for the garden above the bunnies, and exclude the chickens at the same time...

And best of all it would conceal the number of animals I have from the neighbors!! And by virtue of being "temporary" I can ignore the setback from the alley fenceline... :p

I could keep, let's see, 5-6 more adult rabbits and no one would ever know!

This looks really good Farm Girl! How big are your cages? Your buns look adorable! I'm guessing they are dutch? Your chickens look good too :)

I am glad you like it.
The other day I was trying to think of a new good spot for my buns, and the old chicken tractor was sitting in the field.
So we dragged it up and I hung the cages.
I have to go out this morning and see if the chickens roosted on the cages. I don't mind if the chickens get pooped on but I don't want the rabbits to be. :D You might be able to tell that I'm partial to rabbits.

Pulp Faction, I'm thinking we used cattle panels.
I just chained them directly on to the panels, and then tied on twine for support.

mountainrabbits my cages are 30"X30"X18" I have 2 rows of 2 cages in there.

Farm Girl

I have been tossing this idea back and forth with my husband all night, and the thing is, snow. If you dropped a foot of snow on that with the cages hanging it might(probably) sag...so I am working on how to make it really sturdy in the middle. Suggestions welcome!

Rebar?

eco2pia, if you are planning on making one, you will want to do it different, I can only fit 4 cages in mine, and that isn't worth the cost of materials for 4 cages.
You will probably want to make it longer (if you find something to fix the sagging problem) and wider.
We used metal pipe on the bottoms of ours but I'm sure you can use treated 2X4s.

The idea of shelves for sprouting was good. Maybe if I make another one just for my rabbits I will have to put clear plastic on.

I will look at mine and see if I can figure a way for more support, it shouldn't be that hard.
Here in MO we don't have to worry about snow to much, the most we get is 6" (sometimes a little more).

For it to hold up with a snow load, you need to support the cattle panels somehow. Most use a series of poles down the center, or on a 1/3 section creating an aisle. (we've build quite a few now for the chickens and turkeys). Also, cross pieces of some sort on the end will stabilize it nicely (just an X using wire works).

Light and warmth...If you use the heavyduty clear-ish plastic wrap that is used as a vapor barrier between the insulation and drywall in houses, that works GREAT! Holds in the heat, while letting in the sun. My turkey coop was always 20* warmer than the outside air during the winter. IN the summer I remove the heavy plastic and cover with blue tarps. (lets in air, keeps out water and sun)

If you put 2x4 fencing along the bottom 2feet you'll keep out the majority of predators, too.

PulpFaction said:
Nice, are those stock panels? Do the cages hang directly from them? I like this!
quote]
There are a lot of plans available on line for making tractors using stock panels. A friend started making some a couple years ago in order to be able to keep breeding chickens from getting mixed up, yet stillpermit them pasture and shelter. Hers, using 3 panels, cost about 300 dollars to make, but some are 3 years old now, and still holding up under all kinds of weather. She really likes being able to move the tractors- makes for less cleanup work for her. And there is a vet nearby that raises broilers in stock panel tractors. Nice thing about the stock panels- they are strong, and can easily be covered with a tarp, fully or partially.

Farm Girl":1oz31urb said:
eco2pia, if you are planning on making one, you will want to do it different, I can only fit 4 cages in mine, and that isn't worth the cost of materials for 4 cages.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Worth the cost!!! You should see my ridiculous chicken coop! I am one of those people...I am balancing the cost of this against the cost of moving to 5 acres in the country--in those terms, a couple of hundred bucks sounds cheap to me. Besides, I was planning on buying a "portable" green house for the same space that was about $600, and wouldn't have supplied a way to hang cages or make the bunnies "invisible"....Though I might have eventually realized that it was a simple fix...

Anntann, the poles would work nicely with my plans to hang shelves, a ridgeline beam should give me the insurance that makes my husband (and me) more comfortable. Now to beautify it for the neighbors without changing it from the "portable" look that makes the city inspector stay away.... :mrgreen:

ahhh, but my tiny yard precludes that much shed. sigh. I have to make it fit the space I have, and just a few more cages would be nice, and a few more than I can have otherwise! I could also maybe squeeze in another hutch inthe side yard next to the house, if my dear husband doesn't flat-out kill me...sigh. :)

Those stupid chickens are roosting on the cages and pooping in my bucks cage. :evil:

Well I guess I will have to put something up to keep them down. :)

If they keep getting up there guess whats going to happen... :viking:

I was having the same problem with my chickens. It took a lot of time cleaning every day. I finally went out one morning while it was still dark, wearing my headlamp, caught all the ones on the cages, threw them in empty cages, and gave 'em to Chris' aunt and uncle. I haven't had any issues since (it wasn't all of my chickens).<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 am __________<br /><br />Whoa! I just went to that link. It looks like my barn, but I have more rabbits and less chickens!

Latest posts

Back