making the nest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba man

Reaction score
ok i thought they use their own fur to make the nest - i thought i had 2 does well see every week i would give them a cardboard box to play with they loved them had to replace them every week - a couple weeks ago i posted that i saw one doin it with the other one most told me no big deal that this can happen - well today i look at the box and it seems they have made a nest with TIMOTHY HAY - what do i make of this - THANKS

Make sure they are both female. I had 6 does in a large cage. One day I found a dead baby in the cage. Found out one of the 6 was a male. Weeks later found 2 more babies. Found another one was a male. Obviously I suck at sexing young rabbits.

SableSteel":2em08net said:
They make a nest with hay first, then line it with their fur closer to kindling time from my experience
Yup, same here!

In my experience, most breeders provide fresh hay for the does to build their nest with. This helps by insulating the nest further, as a cardboard box by itself won't do much but keep the kits contained. And if I expected my does to fill a next box entirely with their own fur... well I'd have some completely bald rabbits at kindling time. :x :lol:

Latest posts

Back