Leonis Rex Project; Generation I Kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
As a fun little side project, I have decided to attempt making standard Rex furred Lionheads. :D

I bred my undersized Rex doe Magma to my oversized LionHead buck Kingston, and the result are these adorable chestnut agouti and self black kits! They are six weeks and two days old.

Mama Magma and kits:

IMG_5393.JPG

Two of the three blacks, and an agouti:

IMG_5396.JPG

An agouti checking out the world beyond the cage door:

IMG_5398.JPG

Another agouti surveying the world from his perch in a BunnyBucket:

IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5408.JPG

Oh super cute!! You have to breed back to a rex to get rex fur, right? It'll be interesting to see what the mane gene does to the rex fur.

Speaking on mane gene... it looks like all those kits have some form of mane... Is your buck double maned?

Those babies are adorable. I cant to see how they turn out after crossing back to the rex. Or each other.

Bad Habit":m0kkt7kx said:
Is your buck double maned?

I have no idea. I bought him and his sister off of CL, bred the two together, and got two single maned kits, and one double maned which died. Pride is on day 29 so I should have more nekkid-sided popples soon!

I am going to go out and check my three expectant does now, so I'll take a pic of both LH's when I go out. Kingston has a lot more mane than Pride, so he could be a DM, I guess. :? I will post pics and await your expert opinion! :)

rawfeeder":m0kkt7kx said:
These are too adorable!!

Thanks! I think they are pretty darned cute too! :D

Where do you plan to go next with these breedings? :popcorn:

I'll probably keep a buck and a doe and breed them to each other. I can also breed back to LH or Rex.

TDo any of the kits have rex coats?

No. You need a Rex gene from both parents to get a Rex coat.

tm_bunnyloft":m0kkt7kx said:
Those babies are adorable. I cant to see how they turn out after crossing back to the rex. Or each other.

Me neither. :p

But I can see I need a lot more cages than I have now. Uh-oh. :oops:

Oh, you bad person, you! To think that you would try to tempt us with such cuteness! And you with your first twirly star, too! For shame! :nono: !

I would breed them back to each other and one back to the Rex, as I am curious what that Rex gene will do with the mane. Anyone know if the mane has it's own locus like Rex fur does? So cute, and such a cute experiment.

skysthelimit":z76x2z2o said:
I would breed them back to each other and one back to the Rex, as I am curious what that Rex gene will do with the mane. Anyone know if the mane has it's own locus like Rex fur does? So cute, and such a cute experiment.

Yes DM has it's own locus.

Cute!

Karen

GACK!!!! MUST RESIST Leonis Rex Cuteness......MUST RESis.....oh darn.....SHAME ON YOU, SISTAH!!!!

i know someone else was tempted to try this too but i never heard anymore talk about it, i think the biggest problem forseen was loosing the mane to the rex fur, idk how you could ave rex fur then the LH texture mane. so that sould be interesting. but I would keep the LH gene strong to keep the mane as priority then second being the texture. I think if you get the rex fur first then you will have a rough time getting mane back

BlueLove16":2lyhkw2a said:
i know someone else was tempted to try this too but i never heard anymore talk about it, i think the biggest problem forseen was loosing the mane to the rex fur, idk how you could ave rex fur then the LH texture mane. so that sould be interesting. but I would keep the LH gene strong to keep the mane as priority then second being the texture. I think if you get the rex fur first then you will have a rough time getting mane back

Perhaps you will get curly mane like astrex? There are Rex with prominent guard hairs, so maybe a Rex with prominent guard hairs that are tuffs instead a full mane? Or maybe nothing at all? This will be quite interesting.

SMR":1y59zlyz said:
http://www.foxawayrabbits.com/

Has an on going velvet lion project. Didn't see it mentioned, but might be worth talking with them to get some insight as they've been doing it for an number of years :)

Well that answers the question.

MamaSheepdog":17pqp0uc said:
Bad Habit":17pqp0uc said:
Is your buck double maned?

I have no idea. I bought him and his sister off of CL, bred the two together, and got two single maned kits, and one double maned which died. Pride is on day 29 so I should have more nekkid-sided popples soon!

I am going to go out and check my three expectant does now, so I'll take a pic of both LH's when I go out. Kingston has a lot more mane than Pride, so he could be a DM, I guess. :? I will post pics and await your expert opinion! :)

Lol I am no expert!! Usually the only way to tell if they are dm after they've furred out is if they regain their mane after a molt, or if they produce only DM's when bred back to a known dm, or if they produce only maned kits when bred to a rabbit with no mane gene. I'd say(from those kits) that he's probably dm, as they all appear to be sm kits!

are we ever to see more of the experiment?
i've had a lapse in my lionhead lutosis so once again prying eyes and minds ;)

Latest posts

Back