just kidded

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0504 (1).jpgOur goat Nan was due May 1, but yesterday she kidded in the middle of the day (so much for a day of rest after a rather full week) She gave us a buckling with Boer markings like the father and a doeling with more of Nan's coloring. All doing well and I hope to get better pics today when they are out in the sun on the new green grass. But for now here they are just minutes old, after Nan had mostly cleaned them up and before they figured out how to get onto their feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 1,137
Here are the photos I took yesterday when they were out on the pasture. The doeling is doing well but we don't think they buckling is going to make it. Sad to lose anyone, but also feel that too much intervention doesn't lead to anything good. And we always have a preference for doelings.
I hope that doesn't sound too hard-hearted and will not give offense.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 1,120
What darlings . . . but the buckling does look a little frail by comparison to his sister. Fingers crossed for him. And no, you don't sound hard-hearted, just practical and realistic. Naturally a doeling is more useful and valuable. How many bucks can one use, after all? (Or roosters, or bulls, or rams . . . Male farm animals are not in high demand beyond the needed one.)

Back