Is this moon eye?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that is not moon eye. Moon eye is a film over the eye (looks strikingly like a cataract).
babies009.jpg

That is Encephalitozoan-associated uveitis

The dense white mass lesion in the iris with vascularisation is virtually pathognomonic for a lens-induced uveitis associated with Encephalitozoan cuniculi infection. The pathogenesis appears to be that the parasite enters the lens in utero and exits later sometimes giving cataract and sometimes a lens-induced inflammation, characteristically appearing as a variably vascularised white mass.

It can be small or large like in their case
DSC02335.jpg

I second Devon on this, I have a doe that has Pyroclastic Uveitis, literally the lens explodes and the tissue that make ups the lens is attacked by the immune system, often the onset is 8mo to 2yrs, and will be scene after a 'stressor' lowers the immune system, Oh, and if You see this, your rabbits have E. cuniculi.....

A moomed eye often grows to involve the entire eye, BUT you can have just part of the eye effected, and it's kinda cool, as you can look from the side and see that its on top, and not inside the eye.

just found this post! my baby bunnies eyes look exactly like the brown rabbit in DevonW's pictures!! So what exactly is this? And is it something that can be prevented/cured? And will the other kits get it too, oh and what about mom is she going to end up like this? Help please :p

Latest posts

Back