Is this a chocolate?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The pic of the 2 together are littermates.

The broken is a really pretty doe. She's from ebony (friendly doe) her coloring is a deep rich brown. Is that a chocolate?
The small one we named Thomas. I think he is a fawn tort, but I don't know if it's black or blue tort? We named him that because he was so skinny we didn't think he was going to make it. But he pulled thru and is micro tiny! Thomas, the little engine that could :)

I'm considering holding back the brown broken doe and this pretty doe. She has chestnut coloring down her back but grey for the rest of her markings. She's really pretty! Would this be considered a tort also?

first pic

broken chocolate and tort

second pic
looks like a chin with a brown over tinge which is quite common.

Yes! that broken in the first pic is a broken chocolate and the one beside it is a Black Tort (blue torts tend to be more of a fawn than a red)

and the second is a broken chinchilla.

Thank you ladysown & celice. Now my trouble will be deciding which one of the 2 to keep :)

As for Thomas, he is very weak and always tired. Even hops funny. He usually walks. Even his eyes seem off-squinty like. But if he lives he will have a forever pet home with us. He's won everyone's heart :) ♡♡♡♡

At this rate I'll need hundreds of cages rofl

thomas probably has a digestive issue of some sort going on, preventing the good absorption of food.

High quality feed that is easily digestible would probably be of benefit to him.

Ladysown, can by our suggest some foods?
This has been super tiny since day one. Its is the kit I assumed mom wasn't feeding. I put him in with my other doe and he definitely was being fed by her.

We feed manna pro 18% now that the grass is finally growing, mom's and bucks all get grass and dandelion greens and a couple flowers. Timothy hay, alfalfa hay as a small treat. So the babies munch on what mom's eat.

I thought he was a peanut because he is micro tiny, has been since day one. he has a weird looking backnend. But I read a peanut is when they get the double dwarf gene. As far as I know none of my rabbits have any dwarf in them. But really without pedigrees there's no telling?

You can supplement with oats. Rolled oats in large bags from the feed store or plain oatmeal are the easiest to eat/digest and most appealing. The fat content of oats is higher than rabbit pellets and it is easy on the digestive tract so it's often used to replace feed when rabbits aren't adjusting to a new pellet well or kits have weaning issues. You can also use black oil sunflower seeds sold for birds or sunflower meats sold for birds but not the big striped kind while still in the shell. The shell of black oil sunflower seeds (boss) does have benefits but it lowers the concentration of fat and protein you are providing. Not that it's really a problem given the fact boss surpasses all grains by a mile when it comes to kcals and fat along with having health benefits from nutrients not normally found in pellet ingredients. Flaxseed is a compliment to sunflower seed but more expensive and they may not eat it plain. If you want to go through the effort to feed flax it is easier to use the oil (I get flax and sunflower oil in a bulk container from the horse supplement aisle) and spread it on other foods like rolling the oatmeal in it.

Some use calf manna but I don't like it. It has some increased potential health risks over oats and sunflower seed and isn't as easy to digest.

If they have dwarf genes they will be considerably smaller than even an individual of their own breed without a dwarf gene. Usually the purebred dwarf will be in the 2lb range. 3+lbs is usually lacking the right genes and you need multiple dwarf genes to get peanuts. I did have one born with a nonworking hip ones. He dragged that leg around. I let him be and he did survive to find a home who was willing to care for him and if necessary amputate his leg. Sometimes there isn't a known genetic problem to point to. Things just don't go right during development or birth.

Hi akane, thanks for all that great info. I did offer some old fashioned oatmeal but it was after he nibbled on some dandelion. So he had a bite or 2 and that was it. I do have flaxseed, I grind it up and sprinkle some to my dogs raw food. I'll see if he will nibble on some. I will go get some Boss . I want to give some to the does anyway so if it will help our little tommy, that will make me go to the store faster lol (hate running errands)

Will a small piece of a willow branch be easy for him to digest? I do give that also, buy I can't reach any right now lol I've attacked my father's tree pretty good lol but of need be ill get a chair. Also have pear branches I can offer.

Right now tommy is munching on the flaxseed. With the dogs I have to grind them, I'm assuming I don't have to do that for him correct?

Back