I am so-o-o ashamed...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
...and I blame certain members here at RT (Zass! *cough!* MaggieJ!) for my downfall. :evil:

As you all are well aware, noble purist that I am, I staunchly believe that it is of utmost importance that rabbitry equipment should always be utilized in a species-appropriate manner. I have said it before, and will say it again;

Rabbit cages are for rabbits, not miscellaneous livestock!

Therefore, I am hopeful that I have identified yet another disease- Improperitis Equipmentitis- that is prevalent among the members here which is clearly highly contagious. (The alternative being that I have committed a grievous breach of rabbetiquette, which is of course an unsavory possibility.)

Yes, I have fallen far, and answered the siren song of housing chickens (CHICKENS!) in rabbit cages. :eek:verreaction: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now, in my defense, the cages so inappropriately utilized are in far too poor of condition to house MY precious bunnies. :angel:

Note the shocking rust accumulation on the wire:

IMG_8294.JPG

Additionally, the cages have doors on the top so would have to be modified in any case to fit into my current set up.

All that said, our small flock of chickens consists of five hens and five roosters. I will be keeping an Australorp and a Wyandotte, and I have someone possibly interested in at least one of the roos, and the others are going to freezer camp... but my poor hens have been getting a bit too much amorous attention from the boys and are looking scruffy, so immediate action was deemed necessary.

Hence, my appalling breach of Rabbetiquette:

IMG_8295.JPG

I still need to add tar paper to keep the incarcerated birds from getting rained on (or worse, pooped on by the "free" birds), but felt I had to get all of this off of my chest immediately, so am not quite done with everything.

I am ashamed to admit that once the roosters are disposed of in one way or another that I am considering using the cages for broody hens. :cry:

*Ahem!*

In other news, we have started planting our spring garden, and the free ranging ducks were a potential problem, as they would no doubt eat our tender seedlings as soon as they poked their little cotyledons from the soil... so drastic containment methods were deemed necessary. The bonus is that the chickens are now allowed out to range around as well. They have access to the "bone yard", and can also get into the horse pasture (although they haven't ventured that far yet- probably because it is nothing but dirt!), so probably have close to an acre to forage on.

Seen on the right: Tack and tool shed, rabbit barn (green panel), feed shed.
IMG_8325.JPG

Chickens are housed in the front coop, ducks in the rear. The area with the green shade cloth is an additional rabbitry.
IMG_8312.JPG

Part of the bone yard with horse pasture in background:

IMG_8310.JPG

Living out in the middle of nowhere calls for some redneck ingenuity at times- lacking any hook and eye latches laying around, I had to make my own to secure the fencing to the post leading into the bone yard:

IMG_8308.JPG

Bottom latch:

IMG_8309.JPG

The T-posts are spaced so we can still pull our vehicles up to the feed shed to unload feed, and back between the sheds and chicken coop if necessary. The fencing is secured to the T-posts with plastic shower curtain rings.

The span of fencing leading into the bone yard was quite long and flimsy, so I reinforced it with PVC. Wanting to be able to easily roll up the fencing when needing to get vehicles past, I used some handy-dandy shower curtain rings to attach it so the PVC can easily slide out:

IMG_8332.JPG

I also had to make a door to allow the chickens into the new yard. I reinforced the pen with 2" x 4" fencing, and used a NIC panel as a door- with yet another shower curtain ring to hold it open or closed:

IMG_8335.JPG

All in all, despite having succumbed to Improperitis Equipmentitis, I am quite pleased with all of the modifications to the poultry project. Now I just need more birds...

:turkey: :chicken: :chicken: :feedchicken: :feed-ducks: :feedchicken: :chicken: :chicken: :turkey:

Oh... look at those rabbit cages with chickens in them!!! :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

;)

Nice chickens :)

WHAT!
f240t13265p3142497n5.gif
Say it ain't so. Chickens! Really?

MamaSheepdog":3cdnsr7v said:
Yes, I have fallen far, and answered the siren song of housing chickens (CHICKENS!) in rabbit cages. :eek:verreaction: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:fainting:

I'm sorry... I must go collect myself and recover. I never saw that coming. :doc:

Nice chickens. You know all those cages need is Rustoleum... which comes in a variety of colors... :twisted:

MSD, shocked and dismayed as I may be :p by your downfall, I have to say:
Welcome to the real, redneck world of make-do, go-with-the-flow and whatever works!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":3l5dw3n3 said:
...Tell me about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least it wasn't your mom. She hasn't been herself of late and some of us are getting a bit worried. :feedchicken: Why would she want to play with <gasp> chickens when she has bunnies? :no:

I hope you'll add some roosts or blocks of wood for the chickens while they're in there.. They aren't really meant to be on wire, they have much more sensitive feet than rabbits and no covering on them (ie fur).

They look good otherwise though

*looks around*

Yep, I'm going with alternate reality. Or maybe a body snatching and replacement with an uninformed impostor.

*tries to hide the fact I have a setting hen and her eggs in a converted doghouse now rabbit quarantine hutch now temporarily henhouse*

I must say I am rather disappointed in the overall acceptance of this great transgression of mine in using rabbit cages for chickens, of all things. :cry: Have I taught you all no better?!? :eek:

:thinking: Or is it just that everyone here has also been infected by Improperitis Equipmentitis, and therefore find this terrible breach of conduct somehow acceptable?

Homer":89eljayx said:
WHAT!
f240t13265p3142497n5.gif
Say it ain't so. Chickens! Really?
Miss M":89eljayx said:
:fainting:

I'm sorry... I must go collect myself and recover. I never saw that coming. :doc:

It appears that Homer and Miss M have somehow remained immune, and are still exhibiting the proper level of outraged censure. We must capture them and perform innumerable invasive tests to determine the source of their immunity to prevent the spread of this dread contagion. For SCIENCE! :cheerleader:

MaggieJ":89eljayx said:
MSD, shocked and dismayed as I may be :p by your downfall, I have to say:
Welcome to the real, redneck world of make-do, go-with-the-flow and whatever works!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well, yes, there is something to be said for redneck ingenuity. :yes: But I still chafe at the thought of inappropriate cage usage. :angry:

And to think that I- I!- have succumbed to this insidious disease is untenable!

Marinea":89eljayx said:
*looks around*

Yep, I'm going with alternate reality. Or maybe a body snatching and replacement with an uninformed impostor.

Oooh!

YES!

Maybe this is me in an alternate universe! :p Or even :beammeup:

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":89eljayx said:
Oh, you'd better not let Zass see this one! :mrgreen: :razz:
Zass":89eljayx said:
I have a NIC chute from the henhouse (now inhabited only by quail) and the rabbitry floor. Those things are handy to have around.

Zass- really? That's the best you could come up with?!? No razzing, chastising, or call for banning? :shock: :eek: :(

Just "those NIC panels are handy"?

Oh dear, oh dear... I can see that I must increase my efforts to "educate" people on proper protocol. Which will be even more difficult now that my thought processes are muddied by the disease process of Improperitis Equipmentitis.

MamaSheepdog":irepd77n said:
I must say I am rather disappointed in the overall acceptance of this great transgression of mine in using rabbit cages for chickens, of all things. :cry: Have I taught you all no better?!? :eek:

Which will be even more difficult now that my thought processes are muddied by the disease process of Improperitis Equipmentitis.

Honestly, what else should we expect from someone who has taken it upon herself to turn perfectly good wood and yucca materials into adorable and PRACTICAL bunny chew toys? Making money at it to boot? :eek:

I believe it's gone much further than 'redneck engineering' in this case. I think she's gone.... artistic!!!! :x :lol:

Zass- really? That's the best you could come up with?!? No razzing, chastising, or call for banning? :shock: :eek: :(

Wouldn't that be something like having the pot call the kettle black?

:stirpot: :cauldron:

The way I see it, we're equally guilty now. :cool:

It's probably time to post some pics of my corturnix in their bunny cages. :twisted:

Perhaps, I'll also be able to spread Phasianidae Collectionitis while I'm at it. :whistle:

MamaSheepdog":kxsbx9wp said:

:thinking: Or is it just that everyone here has also been infected by Improperitis Equipmentitis, and therefore find this terrible breach of conduct somehow acceptable?
It's worse than you think. :explanation: Your succumbing to this insidious affliction is not only being viewed as acceptable, but as a validation of their similar conduct! I can almost hear it: "MSD keeps chickens in her bunny cages, so it must be alright! If she can keep three in bunny cages, as a MOD, then certainly it is fine for me to keep ten in the same manner."

(Does the fact that I am keeping chickens in a retrofitted jungle gym count? I'm thinking no, since the jungle gym wasn't for bunnies in the first place. :twisted: )

tractor.JPG

Jungle gym came from an old apartment complex playground. We covered it in 2x3 fencing, then covered the top with feed bags. We continued the feed bags down one side to provide extra protection for the feed. The 2x2 pole is for moving the tractor, which is currently housing 6 Cornish X chickens. The flipped-up section is the current door. May add a lower door eventually.

Miss M":18f67k1k said:
MamaSheepdog":18f67k1k said:

It's worse than you think. :explanation: Your succumbing to this insidious affliction is not only being viewed as acceptable, but as a validation of their similar conduct! I can almost hear it: "MSD keeps chickens in her bunny cages, so it must be alright! If she can keep three in bunny cages, as a MOD, then certainly it is fine for me to keep ten in the same manner."

(Does the fact that I am keeping chickens in a retrofitted jungle gym count? I'm thinking no, since the jungle gym wasn't for bunnies in the first place. :twisted: )

Jungle gym came from an old apartment complex playground. We covered it in 2x3 fencing, then covered the top with feed bags. We continued the feed bags down one side to provide extra protection for the feed. The 2x2 pole is for moving the tractor, which is currently housing 6 Cornish X chickens. The flipped-up section is the current door. May add a lower door eventually.

now that is very cool, - I love this forum...

CochinBrahmaLover":2r8vbyws said:
I hope you'll add some roosts or blocks of wood for the chickens while they're in there.. They aren't really meant to be on wire, they have much more sensitive feet than rabbits and no covering on them (ie fur).

Yep, I'm planning to- my thought was for roosts at night though, not because their feet are sensitive- I had already raided the bone yard and found some old broom handles, but thought they were too narrow. But I also have "aged" yucca out there, so was going to use that; the problem is that it is too large to slip through the wire, so I have to figure out a way to secure it.

The floor space is only 18" x 24" (since the actual "floor" is now the back wall), so I plan to just angle a piece across a corner... but would it be better to go straight across, if their feet are that sensitive?

Syberchick70":2r8vbyws said:
Honestly, what else should we expect from someone who has taken it upon herself to turn perfectly good wood and yucca materials into adorable and PRACTICAL bunny chew toys? Making money at it to boot? :eek:

But... but... that's business! And for the bunnies- not chickens!

Syberchick70":2r8vbyws said:
I believe it's gone much further than 'redneck engineering' in this case. I think she's gone.... artistic!!!! :x :lol:

Ah yes... I'm going for Redneck Chic with the rusty rooster cages! :mrgreen:

Zass":2r8vbyws said:

Wouldn't that be something like having the pot call the kettle black?

Well, yes. But in this noble cause, what's a little hypocrisy? Perfectly acceptable. :yes:

Miss M":2r8vbyws said:

:eek:verreaction:

You mean that I have actually become a catalyst for spreading this behavior amongst my rabbity brethren?!? :eek: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Miss M":2r8vbyws said:

Priorities, Miss M! Priorities! That would make a fantastic rabbit tractor for your rabbit growouts!

However, at this current juncture, I think you should use it to keep Bunny-Wan contained! :twisted:

CochinBrahmaLover":1vpcdcvt said:

They look good otherwise though

Chickens seen to have pretty tough skin on their feet. Show people often keep chickens on wire to keep them cleaner.

MamaSheepdog":r0yyngbq said:
However, at this current juncture, I think you should use it to keep Bunny-Wan contained! :twisted:

:injail: Oh, poor me, it seems the Mods are against me. Oh, well, bring it on :jamesbond: .

Latest posts

Back