How to back a fur lap throw?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have finally finished stitching the patchwork lap throw and would like to quilt on a flannel back to it. The leather side does look nice but I want a softer, more finished throw.

Does anyone know how to stitch to NOT catch the fur? I can do the edges just fine but when I start stitching into the main body I have to pick out the fur from under each stitch and bygods, that is going to take f o r e v e r!!!

I wonder if some sort of fusible interfacing would work? <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 am __________ <br /><br /> Ok after thinking about this more, I think you would be able to do a quilting stitch from the liner side and not catch the fur. The quilting stitch would just pierce the hide and then go back in so the amount of fur caught in the stitch should be minimal. Now that being said, I haven't actually tried it.

alforddm":10l70keu said:
I wonder if some sort of fusible interfacing would work?

__________ Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 am __________

Ok after thinking about this more, I think you would be able to do a quilting stitch from the liner side and not catch the fur. The quilting stitch would just pierce the hide and then go back in so the amount of fur caught in the stitch should be minimal. Now that being said, I haven't actually tried it.

Would a curved needle help, do you think?

I don't think so but it might. This is what I'm picturing. This is the stitch my aunts used to hand quilt ages ago. If you worked from the liner side and kept the stitches on the fur side short I "think" you can do it without catching much fur.

F77E5RQH7UQYM87.LARGE.jpg

I will certainly give it a try tonight.

Found a lovely heavyweight flannel at the fabric store, brown tartan and sooooo soft which will work great to back it with. I might even have enough white wool left to pad the back a bit but will have to fig it out and see.

Stitching so many little bits of fur I found that poor quality fur looks just fine if it is cut small so I got more mileage out of my off cut pile than expected. :D

alforddm":3i9qhzrv said:
Please post pics? I have to live vicariously.
:lol: My daughter has the phone so no pictures yet. Having discovered how to at least put pictures in the gallery, I will be putting them there asap!

Really and truly I will!

__________ Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm __________

Whooohooooo turns out I still have a half pound of Falkland wool so with a touch of stinginess I should be able to get a bit of padding to the entire throw.

Off I go to stitch while listening to Doctor Who as it plays on my mysteriously working again DVD player. Never had one get better before but I am sooooo not complaining.

__________ Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am __________

80% done. Got the edges stitched all the way round and have all of one direction of cross stitching/quilting done as well.

The stitches do NOT show! :D

__________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 am __________

tWNJcXw03Nq6YKEfcYJA1wVa7LyU9lWykW3md8syBeLePNoRg7WXeMdwcIU7U-S1RNUzlCVGoQl3REdq6eFR3rOZJcW7l4dwa8wkD4piKuqZulUXVSfMGa20IkHHrJu_Pi5-4vxZdQc3ixm-O5PvS2AvGgkKEx0cbDwVdrnNyDLwSn8_NWR_4vG2TWU9-gAgSwNxiSQ76u4K3izL37RuEC3dqMLoLRnvWoullupnP8YcGk6wEM1mKWrGd0-t6X46ae5DGAtVBV80XdZ6_-Bl28zLW6flzd-UQi6uMchMD0Y5iYXW7qITkkCcjs77Lc8PR4Rrmp55FJBLxk1r0JlU2v-m2hcO4yeMfjlTTYJsdORpjB7Zx-XZjcizWUYfDOi2RaaIVkGCsNM-L_uv1CG3zrGoJj3MtdmI18nKw4s4-B3xFgICAyp_Nc8omqBYiU8FL77NiyJTNhP5hszf6EibNsA1Zirs1itUJ_FSx4eADsY7Ek3dVnhbLov3avQGs16b5viLLb62D_0bhS9dtKL3R6EH8AbX8bGbuceLFvoaghRb_1PrGdyzs14SsJ0jF7eTx44yOmAp_TcGu0CehMfTA5czB--v8LhAYDeJq1rvavvqbOQTtUA8cPtRWeeEebs42vIlTZ7P-mH3FPruleplhKNJ4bojKHw=w813-h610-no

__________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:56 am __________

9X7UJiUcLE_rOFnMw2uF11qcAYXNbTj9y9TFMW4LLT3OA_9m5fA4hhajKxaJ_gnkJMoYjoK2UQoECG6l5qTI0jiEZIomSKDcQQ_5wNVKaCrgKtB2L_avEU5FNBPJcXI0ZtEiyRSSiioYWL8Vo6brdw5sNs0kp5ikpW2vTrKxtK9qMiiL3Zmls_Ir-UcE6WTMVw2-mC-kXNE1ZSgJKhH0JpCEsvD8kQBGD-2svPRksYkdo0o3udnvdUTalXOnWUCBi7ngHir7ZUkefmeRMKi10ggc5h6pvPn4ui-58aUljmeEUA53tknXzbddIoHze_tltyB8-jk1zjfFTBQCA2DBTjsZENJPmHkJmJhbKDbdKSLRnMD_kFbHXJNJUknxW9_1HJuhjuEG6whBYVbrc47kDTqqWm_qwoqNRbf7ay9fJAWm_TM33Fh1mF6tXoBGBqJC5352SPr4GPRjMeUMRe0nixoRQSY4Y3Jbvl1ocqqkJvfpp0ktZxaNLFMAn5k7KZWCuD9Q8l8mS9woUDacX_PxcWjE-xCNkOIweyI1IPNQZqHQQvcCL-SmVj54f5S1RnrzOUI6lkjsqClbVdvjGXuUhkTUmakJxZYEitRIc0c-9CA1pYTUp9DuSLV_jiFV1bYWFarEiP7hyxBmqYOPZlx1byXf1jCgoDM=w813-h610-no
<br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 am __________ <br /><br />
WzOHpiwAfqIQ7SHPIJ3Q9DhizDAPIDXcvPQ_4eXOq0-7riJc9tRh6qVK_6iHwtbjaoKibwncjuM9yykZMebq3VJ373YHzPeM6371lCLFBSp_kn5EfSyFA9JL9lNECTGeV8lTZaxQsphChv_FT67Dk3vdHCHjNSN-JZcwdwlsk1iDDHDlpxzr3RTe_HxYGdW9_6Ph6OcuRGxKt4BQZ97WM87n7V5q-GyHrSEd0CBgWYQfEu_HLVbTyTRFIV4JmJ2F7APV5oN7L6wz1z4LMnITiXNO_jqugvywbkj9zynL5fP-iU_Yl-8zMd36LaSu8Qmg5_zrdeeQNZo4yUjxpHLdkKkKCyazPVpFwCC_YAMuLlpTl6kKBRR74eX3sE5BxFbsZDt9sQpNn5KOckFUzN_R_YItTDpI8WBHftNTKTaoxnBQbDcUKnbYHB7l4K7wmBxcPu3iGs5T_leRaIINKAk0ysqx5KGYvdSYjmNJSsX22fetP8hBPeZSgURTfQ5N-TUJltXWpb-pLF4Gj6u_fYrFzVEHop4llXQgQQyETDilkQyDhm5FjVLKkwJLwjdZ9IVNWTS-vxdXI4uDfDcjFZSdl-U2kyBonBH-n5vP=s813-w813-h610-no

Say thank you to Homer for his infinite patience in teaching me how to do this image pasting thing. He is GREAT!!! :D

And the blanket turned out not bad at all.

I can't see the photos. If you using google photos, you have to go through their sharing process to make the photos pubic. Otherwise, they are private and only you can see them.

Click on the photo to fully open it in google photos. Click the circled icon in the upper right corner. Then click the create link link. That will give you a sharable link that others can see.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-03-25 11-53-07.png
    Screenshot from 2019-03-25 11-53-07.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,026
alforddm":vvpj176w said:
I can't see the photos. If you using google photos, you have to go through their sharing process to make the photos pubic. Otherwise, they are private and only you can see them.

Click on the photo to fully open it in google photos. Click the circled icon in the upper right corner. Then click the create link link. That will give you a sharable link that others can see.

No, I think I will go beat my head against the wall instead. I spent hours this morning putting pictures into posts that previewed just great. Spirits have crashed, losing the will to live.................

__________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm __________

Had tea, calmed down, ordered a few ounces of wool roving and am trying again.

What do I do with the link once copied? Do I just paste it and then people can click it to view?

__________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:41 pm __________

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1K87cQveDUrF3Wx98 <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> https://photos.app.goo.gl/fry1Kn6BFzooVYSy7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bs9CmE6w7UxsBfcB6

Did that work?

alforddm":57kfugh8 said:
Those worked perfectly. Beautiful blanket!

I feel like I have landed a jet!

Yay, it worked at last. :D

Thank you, my kids are fighting over it now and my daughter wants to sell it off. :lol:

Here ya go folks...Nice work GBov! <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> But wait, there's more. :)

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 10..jpg
    10..jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 2,021
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 2,021
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 2,021
I was thinking... you really don't need such a heavy blanket in Florida...You can just send it to me. At least we get cold enough every few years that I could use it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

alforddm":1p366nlp said:
I was thinking... you really don't need such a heavy blanket in Florida...You can just send it to me. At least we get cold enough every few years that I could use it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Yeh, my mum says trust me to live somewhere hot while making things like felted boots and hide blankets!

So you have pictures of rabbits and pictures of the quilt. I'm thinking this is sort of a puzzle. Is the object to the puzzle to figure out where each rabbit's hide fits into the quilt? :mrgreen:

If their is no game intended in this thread, was there anyone else reading the thread who thought this could be a game? :lol:

Ghost":353wgfvf said:
So you have pictures of rabbits and pictures of the quilt. I'm thinking this is sort of a puzzle. Is the object to the puzzle to figure out where each rabbit's hide fits into the quilt? :mrgreen:

If their is no game intended in this thread, was there anyone else reading the thread who thought this could be a game? :lol:

It could indeed be a game, but it will be a game for the future! :lol: The herd is mainly to produce lots of harli/tri pelts to make a blanket that is just tri/harli. Oooooo I know it is counting pelts before they are born but can you imagine the blanket?

MaggieJ":3icx8vu2 said:
Beautiful work, GBov! :goodjob:

Thank you! :D I had chills last night so wrapped myself up in it, it warmed me up a treat.

Now, to make it bigger.

DoozyWombat":3agfg469 said:
That is one beautiful throw! I'll bet the wool adds extra warmth, too.

Aw, thank you! The wool does make it extra warm but it also pads the back so I don't feel the stitching lines which is what I wanted.

It is too small though - 30 inch by 36 inch - so I am now working on patchwork squares - about 6 by 6 - that will each be backed and stuffed, like little flat pillows. They will be stitched on as a border which will give me extra size and, if I need, I can run two rows which will give a generous lap throw instead of the stingy one it is now.

And they will frame the central panel which should look nice as well.

I love doing things like this but waiting on more wool is making me mental, I ordered samples almost two weeks ago!

Back