How do you identify rabbits...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumatra

Reaction score
...in your colony?

I'm sorta new to this and still figuring things out in the process of transferring from cage to colony setup.

So my question is, how do you mark them(male/female, cull later/keep, 1st gen/2nd gen, etc...)?

I can't be going through the entire lot every time I need to figure out something.

With birds, we have bands. With rabbits, the only option seems to be ear tattoos.

Are there any other more obvious(from a distance), or at least less invasive options?

Ear tattoos are really the best way to identify a rabbit in most situations. Both ear tags and leg bands have been tried, but without much success (though leg bands are used as identification more in Europe, but these wouldn't help you identify from a distance - they are all plain metal, not colored like birdsd) You can color code the tattoos if you want - hobby lobby sells ink of different color, as india ink, and this way you could not only have the rabbit's number, but be able to see important information at a distance due to the color code - example, keeper males could be blue, keeper females green, culls black, etc.

How about ear notches? Its used on all kinds of animals and, having had young bucks tear each others ears up a time or two, it doesnt seem to bother them much.

Its a good question though!

Latest posts

Back