Hi all from Wisconsin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting out raising meat rabbits. I'm currently living in the city but my landlord is nice enough to let me build a hutch on my patio. As of now I only have a female Satin but in the coming months will have a doe and buck American Chinchilla (not in related). Trying to raise them responsibly and will tan their hide also.
You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy!
God Bless,
Noah

Thanks! Yeah I mistakenly was on a forum before mainly for pet rabbits. Most people were kind and warned me. One person I must have upset because she left me a reply about not wanting her daughter to get rich off breeding her rabbits bla....bla...bla. I tried to say mine is small scale and not going to sell them. However one guy was nice and directed me over here. Glad he did.

Yea this is about the only place you can talk about meat rabbits. Also hi! Is nice to see another person from Wisconsin!

Zass":3ou6r4eo said:
Hi, nice to meet you!
Thanks you too!

__________Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 pm ___________

Ice":3ou6r4eo said:
Yea this is about the only place you can talk about meat rabbits. Also hi! Is nice to see another person from Wisconsin!
Hahaha yeah I see that. Oh cool. Thanks

__________Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:37 pm ___________

kotapony":3ou6r4eo said:
:welcome:
Thanks :D <br /><br /> __________Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 pm ___________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":3ou6r4eo said:
welcome..
Thanks!

Green2Rabbits":tj8wji4q said:
Thanks! Yeah I mistakenly was on a forum before mainly for pet rabbits. Most people were kind and warned me. One person I must have upset because she left me a reply about not wanting her daughter to get rich off breeding her rabbits bla....bla...bla. I tried to say mine is small scale and not going to sell them. However one guy was nice and directed me over here. Glad he did.

Aloha Green2Rabbits,

Inquiring minds want to know - how are we going to get rich from breeding rabbits? Any tips you have on that subject would be great! And why wouldn't you want to sell them? Breed lots, sell a few, eat a few and there's still hopefully some left to make more.

hotzcatz":2q47nify said:
Green2Rabbits":2q47nify said:

Aloha Green2Rabbits,

Inquiring minds want to know - how are we going to get rich from breeding rabbits? Any tips you have on that subject would be great! And why wouldn't you want to sell them? Breed lots, sell a few, eat a few and there's still hopefully some left to make more.
Hi!
I didn't say get rich of selling them the other user said something like I don't want my daughter to read about this and think she can get rich of selling them. IDK since I was new to that forum I figured I wouldn't try to change her mind. I don't think its possible or I would be getting a home of my own WAY sooner out in the country away from the city. :lol:
I don't have space to house many rabbits. (4 cages as of now maybe another 4 come fall)
Since I am literally housing them in a pole shed :? like design right along the apartment on my deck I don't have much space. The structure I built is 8ft 5" long, 30ish inches wide, with a slanted roof built under my ORIGINAL porch metal roof. So it sorta blends in from a distance and is mostly covered by the original roof over my door. However the back is 90 percent closed off with the 10 percent exposed able to board up in rain/snow. The one side is blocked by my house and the opposite side is boarded but able to be removed in hot weather. The long middle that's not opposite to the side 90 percent blocked is wide open exposed full air and mostly blocked to rain.
However in a driving rain I have problems and come winter will get a tarp or something to block it off.

Oh and the cages are double stacked with a slanted pc of corrugated plastic between as a poop/pee diverter. Bottom cage is about 3.5 to 4 ft off ground.

I literally built it to fit in that area. Since my land lord is cool and gave me the go ahead I tried to make it as hidden as possible but also nice looking to the eye and didn't just use a bunch of free pallet wood I could have got at work. Lol.

Sorry way more than you asked but yeah.
I decided not to argue with crazy and jumped ship to this page where it has a dedicated meat rabbit area.

Limited space plus possible liabilities if someone claimed a rabbit from me made them sick. However my friend already asked for an adult rabbit for his dog......I said I think PETA would burn down the apartment complex if they heard that lol. (His dog has a HIGH prey drive)

Green2Rabbits":2svbxcdt said:
Sorry way more than you asked but yeah.
I decided not to argue with crazy and jumped ship to this page where it has a dedicated meat rabbit area.

Limited space plus possible liabilities if someone claimed a rabbit from me made them sick. However my friend already asked for an adult rabbit for his dog......I said I think PETA would burn down the apartment complex if they heard that lol. (His dog has a HIGH prey drive)

Yes, be careful..
There are a lot of "crazies" out there..
Don't let people know about your "rabbitry", unless you are completely sure of them..
For some unknown reason, this "rabbit thing" has become a "rallying cry",
for "animal rights" activists.
Many "rabbit people" have been attacked, had their rabbits stolen, killed. or set free.
wish you the best...

Yes, be careful..
Don't let people know about your "rabbitry", unless you are completely sure of them..
Many "rabbit people" have been attacked, had their rabbits stolen, killed. or set free.
wish you the best...[/quote]
Thanks it sort of is set back but others can see it. I was going to add some cool signs or bumper stickers but it is more money I don't need to spend AND it's more flashy and likely to stick out.
My dad asked if I was going to get locks for the cage doors and I said no since you can cut a cage and it's a pain to open each time but not a far fetched idea.
I actually have some motion detectors I use at night so if any predators 2 or 4 legged come to the cage I will know just in case. Thanks though can't wait till I can get back out in the country.

Green2Rabbits":3muvug7d said:
Yes, be careful..
wish you the best...
Thanks it sort of is set back but others can see it. I was going to add some cool signs or bumper stickers but it is more money I don't need to spend AND it's more flashy and likely to stick out.
My dad asked if I was going to get locks for the cage doors and I said no since you can cut a cage and it's a pain to open each time but not a far fetched idea.
I actually have some motion detectors I use at night so if any predators 2 or 4 legged come to the cage I will know just in case. Thanks though can't wait till I can get back out in the country.[/quote]

I didn't know that.. is it the same for breeding a rehoming ?

Jasminebunny":x6370qn7 said:
Green2Rabbits":x6370qn7 said:
I didn't know that.. is it the same for breeding a rehoming ?

Sorry you lost me a bit. If you mean watching for animal activists from messing with your rabbits it depends. Where I live people walk on all sides of my building so the less flashy and the less people that know the safer. If you aren't in the city with business that bring people over then you are safer.

I mean I'm trying to think ahead because I never know if when I'm gone someone is going to "free" the rabbits or poison the drinking water.

More of a precaution but in a near by town 15 miles away about 8 years back a bunch of PETA people set free all the mink at the mink ranch. Rabbits would probably die and only hurt the owner but those mink could go and destroy the local wildlife. I don't remember the details but it was just short of 100 mink all set free at once. And that was on a side street in the country so I'm just trying to think ahead.

Better safe than sorry. Plus some people are shady in my area so the motion sensor also let's me know if someone is at my door or close by. I had an incident with someone on something coming toward my door late at night a couple years back. I won't get into it here but those motion sensors serve a dual purpose.

Like the earlier post said the less people that know about it the better. Some people don't want any animal in cages or being for profit.

Green2Rabbits":q3b9qq9g said:
Jasminebunny":q3b9qq9g said:
I'm fine as long as you do it right , and humanly
Exactly and that's why I'm hear to learn. Sounds like a nice thing you're going to be doing.
Huh ?
I'm already doing it !

I'm moving it outdoors , and having 2 does 2 umm.. bucks i think?

Jasminebunny":2hltzpao said:
Green2Rabbits":2hltzpao said:
Jasminebunny":2hltzpao said:
I'm fine as long as you do it right , and humanly
Exactly and that's why I'm here to learn. Sounds like a nice thing you're going to be doing.
Huh ?
I'm already doing it !

I'm moving it outdoors , and having 2 does 2 umm.. bucks i think?
Awesome.

Greetings from all the polish aristocrats at Aristocrats of Wisconsin rabbitry. All the aristocrats are in good health. I joined the forum to get advice on tanning, hide finishing, and tattoos.
I have not been keeping up with the status of shows since the big snows of January. I know a lot of shows were canceled due to RHD and the claims that humans cannot safely be near each other anymore.
I sure am glad I started my herd years ago. What options exist now for people to acquire rabbit friends now?

Back