Giving up on a doe = immediate litter!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My one surviving doe from last springs disaster is 11 months old and has lived with a buck all her life. As she is a Netherland/lop/lionhead cross I gave up on her last week, dispatched the buck she was in with, put her other brother in the freezer at the same time, and put her sire in with her as I like him well enough to feed him. The two of them make manure for the garden so earn their keep as live, even if not reproducing, bunnies.

Bought myself a trio of beautiful Rex and was awaiting Spring with pleasant anticipation of Rex kits to come. :D

Today, a nicely built nest (peed on by the buck of course :roll: ) containing four little wigglers.

A bit of a frantic scramble about has her now in a cage of her own and the litter in a nest box-ish container and extra windbreaks set up and she now has the best chance I can give her.

Her mum was fantastic so fingers crossed she is as good.

ladysown":3omewi1b said:
go figure eh? Not a bad surprise to have. hopefully they'll make it!

They were alive when last I checked so fingers crossed!

__________ Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:18 pm __________

Had to hold her on the nest this evening. She ripped me up pretty good :evil: but she gradually relaxed, had a rather surprised look between her front legs, and started cleaning the kits.

Slowly let her go and she let them nurse for about 8 min so am quite pleased.

A better chance now than they did have, that is for sure. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> And a few weeks on and they are all alive and doing fantastic! :D

So happy with them, cute little fluffballs. One bad eye which eye drops cleared up and they are all over the cage now it has warmed up a bit. Was worried when we were sub-zero for two weeks but the doe did a great job.

Halfway done with the new rabbit area and the three Rex are installed. The Mutt's are more difficult as their cages are built off a central hutch, made from Dwarf Star Alloy, judging by the weight of the thing.

Latest posts

Back