• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Florida - Pair of Juliana Pigs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have a young pair of Juliana Pigs, white with black spots. Very small and really, really stupid. :lol: Not suicidally stupid, just not able to remember who feeds them (me) and very flighty. The boar got loose in the yard though and did no damage whatsoever, no rooting up or eating the vegetables, he just hung out with the dogs. Surprised the dog, that did.

The reason I am offering them is that they are the easiest keepers of any small breed of pigs I have ever had. They stay fat on a ration that would have a pot belly skin and bones.

As you can guess, we don't keep small pigs as pets, they are a living larder for us and the easier the keeper, the better job they do.

It seems a shame to just eat this pair without giving another micro-homesteader the chance at home raised pork.

Being so small they are easy to keep in even a light pen made of bent to shape hog panels and they fit easily into even a yard as small as ours - 100 feet by 80 feet.

They do not give lots of pork (about 40 pounds of near boneless from an adult) but if you are butchering on your own, a small, easy to handle carcass is a bonus. I can scald the young pigs - up to about 16 to 20 weeks - in my kitchen sink to roast whole on special occasions and the adults I can hang on my own to skin. A serious plus. And they fit into the fridge to chill down before packaging them up for the freezer.

This will be this sows first litter and she should be due in just under three months.

$150 the pair.

:wbounce:

If only I were closer... I'd be jumping all over this deal! Too bad we're clear on the other side of the country. :cry:

How are the Julianas to breed? (How many piglets do they have on average, how difficult/easy is it to get them bred, etc.?). DH and I have been looking at other meat sources for our home, and a smaller portion of pork would be kind of awesome (no way do I want a full size hog... my uncle raised them and they were monsters). We're looking at goats and such as well, but I might put Juliana pigs on our list of potential future livestock if I can get a little more "hands on" knowledge about them.

:popcorn:

I have never bred this breed but so far, they have been hmmmmmm "enjoying" each other like, well, pigs! :lol: :oops: :lol:

They are a sibling pair but for meat, no problems there.

The lady I got them from says they are as easy as pot belly's to raise but nowhere NEAR as friendly and I have got to admit, they are seriously deficient in the brain department but were first in line when it came to double helpings of "RUN AWAY!!!" :lol:

Having said that though, when the boar got loose in the yard he did no damage and was very interested in anything I was doing and was actually quite funny.

She was getting rid of them all due to time issues so I traded some carvings for them. The older sows went into the freezer and three of the male piglets went the same way - I LOVE whole roast piglet - but it left this pair which, to be honest, I don't need to eat and it seems a shame to freezer camp them if another homesteader can use them.

Blimey, looking at the price they go for on CL it is a good deal! :shock:

GBov":n07l4hxp said:
Blimey, looking at the price they go for on CL it is a good deal! :shock:
:lol: That's what I was thinking!!! :twisted:

And I completely understand your line of thinking, I had two does in one of our last litters before summer that were really nice, but I was keeping an even better one. So I offered them both on Craigslist. Long story short, the potential buyer backed out last minute ("I want the best rabbits, but $30 is too much for pedigreed show-quality Rex" :roll:) and before I got around to butchering them the heat waves took the best sibling and one of our main herd does. Now I'm glad I put off the butcher day because I was able to "replace" the does I lost... not as nice, maybe, but we can breed our way back hopefully.

Still, it would have made me happy for them to go to someone starting out, as well.

Thank you for your lovely description of the piggies, they sound pretty good to me! I'm happy with "dumber than a bag of rocks", at least I won't have to out-think them. And it doesn't sound like they're the brutes my uncle raised. Hehe, come to think of it, chasing piggies was a sport at summer camp when I was young (although I've put on a few more pounds and stopped running around for fun since then). :p :lol:

GBov, they sound ideal for the homesteader. I wish I were young enough to take some on, though yours, obviously, are too far away.

Thanks for posting about them and I hope you find a buyer. :)

MaggieJ":1xfiyw84 said:
GBov, they sound ideal for the homesteader. I wish I were young enough to take some on, though yours, obviously, are too far away.

Thanks for posting about them and I hope you find a buyer. :)

If you don't know the small breeds are out there and only read homesteading books you would NEVER know micro pigs work for meat. It is silly how few people eat them and when they do, they are so covert about it. :roll:

GBov":1ynlmcd1 said:
If you don't know the small breeds are out there and only read homesteading books you would NEVER know micro pigs work for meat. It is silly how few people eat them and when they do, they are so covert about it. :roll:
Kind of how we don't always come out and tell people we eat cute little fluffy bunnies for breakfast? :twisted: :lol:

Nymphadora":3keutd9n said:
GBov":3keutd9n said:
Kind of how we don't always come out and tell people we eat cute little fluffy bunnies for breakfast? :twisted: :lol:

Exactly!

Or how we don't say shelter dogs/cats could be put to better use than being euthanized and incinerated. :roll:

Shocking thought for many so-called animal lovers but from a practical point of view, logical.

GBov":1j6gr7am said:
Nymphadora":1j6gr7am said:
GBov":1j6gr7am said:

Exactly!

Or how we don't say shelter dogs/cats could be put to better use than being euthanized and incinerated. :roll:

Shocking thought for many so-called animal lovers but from a practical point of view, logical.

I'm a pretty huge animal lover and honestly, that would be a much more humane use for those animals than what currently happens to them in our shelters and feels a lot more respectful to me too. This county puts the bodies in trash bags and the dump digs a hole in "garbage mountain" and they dump the bodies - trash bagged and all - in the holes and they're completely buried under the garbage. Because of current euthanasia practices, the bodies are deadly to wildlife and the land so that's all they can really do with them. When I had my own dog put down, I had to use construction bags, several layers of them, kitty litter, and bury them a good bit down and as far from my well as I could to prevent leaching and poisoning anything. If it wasn't for the sudden emergency nature of the euthanasia, I would have made better plans than that.

Another fun fact; this is why they changed laws here regarding horses so farmers can now butcher and eat their horses. It is actually legal here to kill and eat *any* pet/animal that belongs to the person doing the deed. Horses used to be the only exception, but they finally changed that about 2-3 years ago. You just can't sell the meat or parts... now when farmers hit a rough patch, instead of slowly starving their horse to death because they can't afford feed, they can just go ahead and fill their freezers right then. Saving both money, and keeping the family alive in a time of famine and desperation. The horse spared starvation or untreated disease/injury.

The entire world seems to have gone crazy nutso lately. :cry: I tell everyone to vote, vote with your vote and vote with your money, that is the only way to get this show back on track.

At least the pigs are funny.

GBov":34pep7x8 said:
The entire world seems to have gone crazy nutso lately. :cry: I tell everyone to vote, vote with your vote and vote with your money, that is the only way to get this show back on track.

At least the pigs are funny.
:yeahthat:
And people wonder why I prefer hanging out at home with my animals... I can't wait to get the chickens going this year, I may never leave home again (except to work/buy necessary goods). :p :oops:

Latest posts

Back