Difficult Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine9198

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first posting so bear with me! I bred rabbits when I was a teen and never had issues like this, fastforward and I'm in my 30's and have picked up rabbits again. I am breeding holland lops.

I have a doe named Lyra, she has been shown to do dominant behaviors such as humping the male but not allowing him to breed (also biting fur pretty hard) and came out of a false pregnancy last month. She's never had kits and is 7+ months old now.

The issue I have is she will show signs of chin rubbing, humping the male, being playful/flirty and when she finally goes into the breeding position she will only allow him to do it ONCE. Subsequent matings she refuses and sits in the corner and growls so I remove her. When I try to put her back with the buck hours later (to hopefully get a bigger litter), she'll sit huddled and refuse to breed and growls repeatedly.

Has anyone had a "one" and done doe? Who only allows breeding one time and then acts as if she's pregnant immediately or has the "back off I'm not interested" attitude?

Thank you for reading!

I'm brand new to breeding rabbits, my doe has never done this but I read something after she lost a litter due to cool weather and wouldn't let my buck breed her a week later, she was showing/doing identical things. What I did was stimulate her by gently rubbing her vent and place the buck on her back and do this at least three times making sure it's successful, it worked for me!

As a teen who raises holland lops, I feel called to this XD, this should be fine. Just try again the next hour or so and see if it works. If not, leave it at one and see how it turns out. I've had a few does and only one acted like this but she was a bit of an odd rabbit

Honestly, I've never gone out of my way for second breedings. I count one good fall off as pregnant, and no fall off as a "maybe."

If the buck mounts more than once, that's great. If not, well, I've had so many litters from bucks who didn't, I've never tried to keep count.

Thanks everyone! It's now been a month and she's on day 30 so here is hoping! :) <br /><br /> -- Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 pm -- <br /><br /> Replying to this, she had 4 healthy babies! All doing well!

Latest posts

Back