changing season

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We fed through the summer on grass and legume hay we cut ourselves and forage gathered daily--no pellets (after the initial slow weaning of the adults purchased off the diet they were used to) and no alfalfa. We have given a small feeding of oats to the does and kits each evening. We dried brambles, willow, comfrey, field peas, oats (whole plant) nettle and some other stuff for winter. We're thinking of adding another grain and perhaps BOSS (we meant to grow sunflowers for seeds but the chipmunks which are way too numerous this summer wiped out the 50 or so plants along the garden edge when they were still small seedlings) Also plan to grow "grass" from oat or rye or ? seed for winter feeding. (we have a small greenhouse where we grow chard, kale, lettuce and tatsoi for our own use--rabbits will get trimmings) and we'll have carrots and beets in the root cellar which we'll share with rabbits. We have plenty of hay--best hay we've made when the weather was right when the clover and grasses were prime. Really appreciate all the advice from this site--especially Maggie's plant list. We had plenty of plantain, dock, prickly lettuce, chicory, clovers, dandelions, purslane etc growing all around the edges (and in our gardens) from April to now. This will be our first winter with rabbits--we plant to only overwinter a buck and 3 does--last kindling for this year occurred today and then it's just growing out those and previous kits and then hunkering down until spring. Oh, and we have easy access to willow, apple etc for winter chewing. Just a bit nervous about the transition from the green time into cold season.

Based on what you've got going, I wouldn't be nervous at all. You sound awesomely prepared, and your rabbits sound very lucky to have you.

Oh, and welcome to RT!

:hi: Rainey!

Marinea":qd04ddvq said:
You sound awesomely prepared, and your rabbits sound very lucky to have you.

:yeahthat:

They should adapt just fine to the dried diet over the winter. MaggieJ, who started this forum, also has a natural based diet. She gives cabbage for fresh feed for her rabbits in winter (start slowly as it can cause gas, and they need to develop the gut flora to handle it) and also sprouts some greens for them during the winter.

You might want to experiment with feeding fodder in the winter- there is less chance of mold developing on the root mass in the colder months. We have an extensive (26 page!) thread all about fodder that may interest you:

fodder-sprouting-systems-anyone-t10317.html

One of our members, Grumpy, also has a great post on building a fodder system and his findings thus far:

a-beginning-t21277.html

Hi Rainey! Welcome to RabbitTalk! :hi:

I agree with Marinea -- you are awesomely prepared! I've never had a problem with the transition to winter feeding... It happens over a month or six weeks (mid-September to the end of October) so it is a gradual change.

I do introduce cabbage while they are still getting lots of gathered greens and start with just a few shreds in early October and work it up as the gathered greens become more scarce. It has never been a problem, but my rabbits have always been meat mutts, so perhaps less finicky about diet than purebreds.

Glad to have you with us... You'll fit right in. :D

Latest posts

Back