Register

Chaffhaye Alfalfa

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 126.00

Re: Chaffhaye Alfalfa

Post Number:#16  Unread postby SDGrabbitry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

The plastic is quite thick. I've even had goats get into where it's stored and jump onto the bags with sharp hooves and still not puncture it. Not something I want them doing, but it's happened. We've never opened a bag that was spoiled, but my dealer will replace any bags that are bad when opened. You do find yeast colonies, which are fantastic natural probiotics, but it is very obvious that it is not mold. It smells a little like yogurt. There is more info about it on their website. The way Chaffhaye smells it would be virtually impossible not to know if it has spoiled, IMO. It is a very distinctive, sweet, and pleasant smell. As far as using it in a reasonable amount of time- my goats go through it too fast to worry about it not being fresh. I've had bags open for as long as 10 days even in the heat and humidity of Summer without spoilage though.

__________ Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am __________

So far so good! They certainly enjoy it.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 668.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Barton's Big Bunnies » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm

I tried the Chaffhaye Alfalfa for my rabbits & only 1 or 2 out of 19 liked it. The rest would kick their bedding to cover it up. So we don't feed it anymore & just offer timothy hay with their different veggies. They seem to like that much better! :bunnyhop:
ImageFind us on Facebook: Barton's Big Bunnies https://www.facebook.com/BartonsBigBunnies :lilbunny: Image
  :all-ears:  Check out our webpage: http://bartonsbigbunnies.wix.com/b3englishlops :frogslurp: :clover:

BunnyBucks: 126.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby SDGrabbitry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 am

Both of mine are really enjoying it! :)

__________ Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 am __________

Just an update! They've been eating it for over a month and everything is going well. They're essentially getting it free choice at this point. They're growing really nicely. When we have our first litter in the Spring I'll be tracking weights on them (these are meat rabbits) and post the information.

__________ Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 am __________

Another update! The rabbits are still eating it(we have 6 rabbits total, one with a litter) and haven't had any issues with it so far. They all seem to like it, though some more than others. They're still getting a pelleted ration along with their Chaffhaye, but we will start working some of them off the commercial feed entirely and see how it goes.

BunnyBucks: 6,649.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Demamma » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Is there a update by anyone feeding fermented feeds?
[album][url=http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image.2290[/album]

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby angidee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 am

Just curious if there was an update for feeding the chaffhaye to the rabbits?

Previous