Castor crossing to Chinchilla = ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
About to start trying the new Rex trio, the buck is castor, both does are chinchilla.

With no history of them at all, what should I expect, color wise, from them?

ladysown":1co8cw9c said:
predominately castor and chinchilla. :) probably more castor.

That is what I thought but wanted to be sure.

The color pallet is sooooooo limited and no brokens at all for sale anywhere! :(

I haven't been able to find a Rex anywhere in our state, so at least you have a trio! Even if they aren't the colors you want.

I've been thinking of getting a 'pet' breed since we only have English angoras and a lot of folks want a pet bunny and I don't want to sell them an angora as a pet. Seems to me that a Rex would be an excellent pet bunny but I've not been able to find any locally and shipping into Hawaii is a PITA. They have to land on a different island than mine and then get shifted from the agricultural inspector's desk by someone on that island since the desk dwellers don't shift bunnies back to the airlines to continue their journey.

Castor (what the folks with angora call 'agouti', I think?) is A_B_C_D_E so it's all dominants. Chinchilla is A_ B_ c chd_ D_ E_ which is all dominants except for the 'C' gene.

IF your buck has the recessive for albino (was either of his parents albino?), then he could give the offspring a 'c' and the doe could contribute the 'chd' dark chinchilla gene and then you'd get more chinchillas. That's all you can know from either of them since they are a castor and chinchilla.

What color are the parents of your castor and chinchilla? Maybe they have recessive color genes hiding behind the dominants? You can breed castor to castor and get all kinds of other colors if they have hiding recessives. Hmm, you mentioned 'no history' so I guess that includes the color of the parents?

Our latest litter is a 'castor' (well, actually he's an agouti since he's an English angora) to a black and all sorts of colors showed up so you could get colors.

lotusvin3days.jpg

Oooooo beautiful!!!

Do you have any problems with caked up bums?

I have a fluffy, small breed cross and she had it at this age and now one of her kits had it - keeping an eye on that one - but I was wondering as I washed it all off (how can manure get shield hard in such a short time?) how angora breeders do with that issue.

Oh, there could also be albino, with the Castor x Chinchilla cross if the buck has the recessive 'c', I hadn't noticed that I'd forgotten the albino option the other day.

We have very little coat problems such as caked up bums, but we've been breeding them for low maintenance coats for a long time now.

I did try a crossing between different breeds of angora (pure English to a Satin/German hybrid) and even though the offspring had the long wool, they lost the proper coat structure so all they did was mat up. A proper angora coat doesn't mat as much as many folks think it should. The purebred English lines that I have also molt (some lines have been bred to not molt, mostly for the show bunnies) so even if they do mat, they will molt the mat off. Most times, anyway, although not always. I've gotten rid of all the hybrids except one doe who's just a 'wooler' and not a breeder. She's third generation from the hybrid cross so she keeps her coat somewhat tidy but still gets mats behind her ears as well as a few other mats here and there.

The buns here are also kept in wire bottomed hutches so everything falls through and doesn't stick around. So I guess how we keep them clean is purebreds on wire? They get a lot of roughage in their diet, too, so that should keep things in pellet form instead of anything soft and mushy.

When we get an angora trio I will grit my teeth and pay the price for good ones. Right now we are saving for a puppy so it will be a looooooong time before angoras. I love hearing about yours Hotcatz, I get to learn from someone other than my mistakes. :lol:

My fluffy butts are mainly on wire but there is a large wooden portion to the hutch which is where I think the problem starts, with a sticky vit b poo onto the belly and it goes on from there. Watching closer now.

Will try the newbies tomorrow, if Boris fails the dwarf mutt mix - Jino - will be thrilled to have a go. We used the one package of rabbit meat and gosh, I forget how much I love it so any litter is a good litter. :D <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm __________ <br /><br /> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZeTW8w67DaGARS6W7

7 kits, 7 different colors! :shock:

Back