Register

Can buns safely eat Crocosmia

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,200.00

Can buns safely eat Crocosmia

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 am

It is listed as a plant to use in the flower bed as wild rabbits don't like it but that doesn't answer the question of whether or not rabbits can actually eat it safely or not.

Does anyone know?

It grows rampantly here and is beautiful so it would be nice if it could be fed as well.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,954.00

Re: Can buns safely eat Crocosmia

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 am

https://spokengarden.com/crocosmia-plan ... ers-guide/

I haven't found the exact chemicals yet that are considered to be problematic, but at least one site says it's a member of the iris family which commonly causes problems.

Looking at other sites, the general consensus is that it can cause diarrhea or other mild poisoning symptoms in pets.
Rabbits rarely (if ever) vomit though, and diarrhea can lead to a fatal GI problem fast.

I would say no on this one.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,200.00

Re: Can buns safely eat Crocosmia

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 am

Thank you! I was having no luck at all finding anything out about it. Love it though so will plant oooodles of it and just enjoy the nectar-filled blossoms myself.