Burying Nibbles, a little furry friend... *GRAPHIC*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
About two years ago, a manager at one of the properties under my beloved Shay gave us her two rabbits. They were pets, and she had decided they had too many different kinds of animals. They were about six months old, and, although they were not littermates, they were raised together.

One was Fluffy, a NZW. The other was Nibbles, some sort of black dwarf. They were pretty funny to see together... especially when Fluffy would try to hide behind Nibbles. :shock:

"Nose rub?"
Nibbles01_zpsab4e4253.jpg

They were given to us with the knowledge that Fluffy would be a breeder for meat bunnies, and that she and Nibbles would be safe from the crock-pot themselves.

We had one empty cage, and no room for more, so all I could do was hope they could stay together. As it turned out, once Fluffy had her first litter, Nibbles became Overprotective Aunt Nibbles. :lol: It worked out well all this time. Fluffy gave us babies, Nibbles protected them until we removed them to a growout cage, and then it started over again.

Unfortunately, over the course of a year and a half, Nibbles never grew to trust us. She didn't want to be pulled out and held, and she didn't even want to be petted in the cage. :( Oh, well... at least she was a good companion for Fluffy.

When we moved in September, Nibbles started sneezing now and then. I just about panicked, because I had no ability to quarantine at the time. All I could really do was watch nervously and wait.

No white snot appeared, and no other symptoms at all, except that once in a while she would sneeze out a short, narrow, sticky string. That was it. I grew to believe she was allergic to something around here, and relaxed.

Fluffy never showed any symptoms, none of her kits did, and no other rabbits in the rabbitry did.

A little over a month ago, Bunny-Wan Kenobi felt a bump on her right shoulder. I took a look, and saw it was an abscess.

Nibbles10_zpse94b1a11.jpg

The kids helped me do surgery on it. Bunny-Wan Kenobi held Nibbles, and ILoveBunnies helped hold and took pictures.

I trimmed short the fur around the abscess:

Nibbles11_zpsfcf987d8.jpg

I applied Betadine to the abscess and the surrounding area. With my scalpel, I carefully cut the abscess into quarters. I expected soft pus. Instead, it contained something the consistency of semi-soft cheese, like cutting into a large cottage cheese curd.

Nibbles12_zps059078c1.jpg

I used the scalpel to gently scoop and very carefully scrape out the contents of the abscess.

Nibbles13_zpsf2aa68d8.jpg

I got to the bottom, removing all the white stuff I saw. There was one tiny depression in the middle that still had some. I suspected a deep pocket of infection. I gathered up the area below the abscess until it felt like I was below it all, and I started squeezing. The stuff was slightly softer, but still came out like toothpaste from a tube.

Nibbles14_zpsee37cdf0.jpg

After removing all traces of infection I could find, I dripped Betadine generously into it, squeezing the area to encourage the stuff to go into the pocket. At top right, both kids had to hold Nibbles' head at this point.

Nibbles15_zps6e7b861d.jpg

Bandaging the area right above the shoulder proved to be a bit of a nutty task. Nibbles had had about all she could take, and we had to go around her body in front of and behind her leg. Finally, we got it properly bandaged, with a generous dose of triple antibiotic with analgesic.

Nibbles16_zpsc67841c5.jpg

We put her back in the cage, and Fluffy's kits started bouncing around her immediately.

Nibbles17_zps16659d69.jpg

After about a week, the bandage was removed, and after another week, the fur was coming back in.

Nibbles18_zps39bc16a7.jpg

She healed up fine. We gave her a course of PenG. Interestingly, the sneezing stopped. Oh, dear. Perhaps I had been wrong about the allergies.

Over the ensuing few weeks, she finally realized that we were not her enemies, and that being petted was really nice. She would let us pet her basically as long as we wanted, without trying to run away. She was warming up!

Night before last, I was petting her and Fluffy, when I felt something odd on her right hip. It felt like some matted fur, so I wasn't too concerned, but figured I'd look at it in the morning light.

The next morning, Bunny-Wan Kenobi came inside and told me Nibbles had a goopy eye. :( He held her as I looked at her eye and at her hip. I still wasn't sure what was going on with her hip. It didn't look like another abscess.

Strangely, there was something of a bad odor coming from her, especially around her head. She was a very, very sick bunny, and we were going to have to put her down.

But we had to leave soon, so we decided to give her a good last day. We pulled out the kennel, put it in a corner away from the rabbits, and filled the bottom with fresh hay. We put a J-feeder and water bottle that already needed to be sterilized in for her. We filled a dish with romaine lettuce, carrot shavings, and BOSS, and the kids went and found her a nice bull thistle.

You could tell she didn't feel good, it hurt for her to move, and being petted was uncomfortable. So we talked to her sweetly, and then left. In spite of the way she felt, though, she dove right into eating the thistle.

When we returned, the bowl full of goodies was licked clean, and the thistle was almost gone. She'd had a marvelous day full of treats she normally got only now and then.

We got the milk crate we use for dispatching, and lined the bottom with hay. I put in a different assortment of treats she didn't usually get very often, like new shoots from blackberry canes.

Shay waited patiently, and eventually she sat very still for him. We hope her last thought was something along the lines of, "WOW!! This has been the BEST DAY EVER!"

Afterward, I took a few more pictures. I don't know why I didn't even think to do a necropsy, but I didn't. :( And the cloudy day messed with my camera, which normally takes awesome shots.

Goopy eye:

Nibbles19_zps4ae30a8c.jpg

Flaky, scabby, bare skin at hip:

Nibbles20_zps49220ef3.jpg

More flaky, scabby, bare skin... with a lump of something that is not an abscess in the middle:

Nibbles21_zps687a1a46.jpg

I am sure these pictures are not good enough, especially with no necropsy.

I do not believe she had Pasteurella, because no rabbit besides her has shown any symptoms at any time. If it was Pasteurella, then I have a rabbitry full of iron-clad immune systems! If I had thought she had Pasteurella or anything potentially infectious at any time, I would have culled her immediately. The only exception was right after we moved, when she started sneezing, and I wondered. I had had non-infectious sneezing rabbits before -- Pearl and some of her offspring -- so I watched for other problems.

Nevertheless, we will be watching everybunny for a while!

I know I was not as proactive as some members on here are. Some cull at the first sign of anything amiss health-wise. I understand that, and may adopt that policy myself in the future. Just for this rabbit, I didn't want to cull her if it really wasn't necessary. I do realize the chances I was taking. Just so ya know. :)

I am so sorry Miss M. :cry: I am sure Nibbles had a wonderful day.

I have to say I think you are very strong. I would not know what to do with an abscess. I'm not sure I could stomach it if I did know.

So sorry about her. She was a pet,and pets are different from our livestock, we all know that :) Rabbits get sick from other things, we will never know what was wrong. But I understand, when I lost Lewis this time last year, I was too upset to do a necropsy on his little body. He was gone, and that was enough for me.

skysthelimit":1fdfmdsb said:
But I understand, when I lost Lewis this time last year, I was too upset to do a necropsy on his little body. He was gone, and that was enough for me.

^Yes this exactly!

So Sorry, Miss M. :(

Awe, I'm so sorry, Miss M! :( Sounds like Nibbles had a very happy life with your family though.

Heritage Homestead":jxaftjtj said:
I am so sorry Miss M. :cry: I am sure Nibbles had a wonderful day.

I have to say I think you are very strong. I would not know what to do with an abscess. I'm not sure I could stomach it if I did know.
Thank you, HH... As for being able to stomach it, I bet you could if you needed to. I never thought I'd ever be doing anything like this. If you had a special little animal that wasn't very sick, just needed something like that done... there's just something that happens to you, and gives you the strength to do something you didn't think you could. :)

skysthelimit":jxaftjtj said:
So sorry about her. She was a pet,and pets are different from our livestock, we all know that :) Rabbits get sick from other things, we will never know what was wrong. But I understand, when I lost Lewis this time last year, I was too upset to do a necropsy on his little body. He was gone, and that was enough for me.
Thank you, Sky.... I guess that was why I went to the trouble of draining that abscess. She was a pet, and a special little bun, even though she kept rebuffing our efforts to reach her little heart until that surgery.

SuburbanHomesteader":jxaftjtj said:
Just want to offer my sympathies and support. I think all of us have "favorites" and it always hurts to lose them. Thank you for sharing your photos.
Thank you, and I'm glad they were clear enough. The surgery pix we had to take too quickly to use flash, and the outside ones... I don't know what happened.

DumansArk":jxaftjtj said:
So Sorry, Miss M. :(
Thanks, Duman, I appreciate it.

Wyldrose":jxaftjtj said:
Rest in peace Nibbles!

I love the banaged up pictures, she turned out to be a sweety after all :)
Thanks, Wyldrose... I know, seeing her bandaged was funny... it really showed just how tiny she actually was, with all that fur compressed. And she did turn out to be a sweetie-bun. :)<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 pm __________<br /><br />
Beekeeper10":jxaftjtj said:
I am so sorry Miss M :( Nibbles was a special rabbit.
Thank you, Beekeeper!

ladysown":jxaftjtj said:
ah, it's always hard to lose a pet.
It sure is... I didn't even know how hard it would be to lose Nibbles, until I went to take her out of that cage to put her down. :( For a moment, it seems like if you don't pick her up, you won't have to go through with it.

Oh dear :( So sorry to hear about your bun. You did the best for Nibbles until the end. It still pains me when I think of Jack, but I think it takes so much strength to decide to do what's best for their quality of life. Nibbles was very blessed to have such a wonderful family do so much!

fuzzy9":3hqpxdev said:
Awe, I'm so sorry, Miss M! :( Sounds like Nibbles had a very happy life with your family though.
Thanks, Fuzzy9! I think she did, and she was always busy taking care of Fluffy's babies. :)

Do rabbits get sad if they lose a companion bunny? Fluffy came right up to the door tonight, and lowered her head for a rub. Normally, she's worried that I'm going to take her out, and she'll go in the corner and hide behind Nibbles. She's been without Nibbles for a day now. I wonder if she misses her somehow. Not looking to put human emotions on a bunny, but I know animals can show affection, and some had been observed showing loss.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 pm __________<br /><br />
Peach":3hqpxdev said:
Oh dear :( So sorry to hear about your bun. You did the best for Nibbles until the end. It still pains me when I think of Jack, but I think it takes so much strength to decide to do what's best for their quality of life. Nibbles was very blessed to have such a wonderful family do so much!
Thank you, Peach, it hasn't even been that long for you with Jack. :( You're right, you have to think about the bunny and the rest of your bunnies... I couldn't have watched her suffer any longer. She was so sick.

My sympathies Miss M. I have to agree...you're very strong and IMO, you handled the entire situation very humanely. I'm sure in her little wabbit brain she understood that you were loving and caring for her.

Not sure it pertains but that photo and description of the abcess sounds and even sort looks like a cyst I have. When I was in my late teens I noticed a large, nickel sized swelling. It didn't hurt but as it grew thicker the upper area was quite white and there was a ring of red around it. Looking closer I saw a tiny red dot in the center and when I pressed on it (it's on my chest and I was looking in the mirror) to see it better, pus shot out of it! It still didn't hurt really but it startled me. At first it was fairly thin and almost greenish in color but as I squeezed it got thicker and more white/yellow...almost like that curd you described. And stink?! Smelled sort of like...well...dirty butt...yuck. The next time to the doc I asked about it and he told me it was a cyst...a little sort of pocket under the skin and that it would likely continue to fill with body oils and such and need to be drained (squeezed out) from time to time. He said it could be surgically removed but didn't need to be unless I wanted. I didn't and I still have it to this day. It's never gotten that big again because I know it's there and if I see it looking like it's getting a bit thicker, I squeeze it out...always very thick, yellow/white smelly stuff. So..perhaps it was a cyst she had and because nobody knew it was there, it just kept filling...sort of like a pimple...until it reached "critical mass". If so, it's certainly nothing contagious to worry about with your other buns.

Rest in peace Nibbles. You were well loved.

*to Nibbles over the Bridge* Hey Nibbles, see that little white chihuahua over there? The one that barks and acts like he is a Rottie? Well, his name is Buster, and he is really a sweetie. Tell him I said hello and ask him to show you around. He'll take good care of you. He knows how to finagle all the best treats, and find the most comfy places to rest. You two will have a ball.

So sorry about Nibbles, Miss M. (((HUGS))) It's always so hard to lose the special ones... and even harder when we have to put them down ourselves. I was touched by all the things you did for her on her last day to make it special.

Fluffy no doubt misses her, but she will adjust. If she has kits due soon, that will help. I believe that animals do grieve and I don't think it is just a projection of our own feelings of loss.

We lost our gander, Patrick, recently and Elsie is now a lonely only. She was a bit bewildered and sad at first, just standing in the yard and calling for him, but with a little extra attention from us and some special treats she is doing fine now. It helps that she has always been a very independent personality.

Mickey328":34bamh0h said:
My sympathies Miss M. I have to agree...you're very strong and IMO, you handled the entire situation very humanely. I'm sure in her little wabbit brain she understood that you were loving and caring for her.

Not sure it pertains but that photo and description of the abcess sounds and even sort looks like a cyst I have. ...... So..perhaps it was a cyst she had and because nobody knew it was there, it just kept filling...sort of like a pimple...until it reached "critical mass". If so, it's certainly nothing contagious to worry about with your other buns.
Thank you, Mickey, I appreciate it! And I never thought of the possibility of it being a cyst. I looked it up because of your comment, and it did more resemble a sebaceous cyst than an abscess!

tailwagging":34bamh0h said:
Thank you, Tailwagging! ((HUGS BACK))

Marinea":34bamh0h said:
Rest in peace Nibbles. You were well loved.

*to Nibbles over the Bridge* Hey Nibbles, see that little white chihuahua over there? The one that barks and acts like he is a Rottie? Well, his name is Buster, and he is really a sweetie. Tell him I said hello and ask him to show you around. He'll take good care of you. He knows how to finagle all the best treats, and find the most comfy places to rest. You two will have a ball.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww... *sniff* :)

MaggieJ":34bamh0h said:
So sorry about Nibbles, Miss M. (((HUGS))) It's always so hard to lose the special ones... and even harder when we have to put them down ourselves. I was touched by all the things you did for her on her last day to make it special.

Fluffy no doubt misses her, but she will adjust. If she has kits due soon, that will help. I believe that animals do grieve and I don't think it is just a projection of our own feelings of loss.

We lost our gander, Patrick, recently and Elsie is now a lonely only. She was a bit bewildered and sad at first, just standing in the yard and calling for him, but with a little extra attention from us and some special treats she is doing fine now. It helps that she has always been a very independent personality.
Thanks, Maggie... I'm glad the kits should help her get past it. Bunny-Wan Kenobi was thinking about raising one of her daughters to live with her, but any such bun would be bigger than Nibbles, and there's no telling whether it would work. :( So I told him we'll see how she does on her own for now.

I'm so sorry, Miss M!

Poor little Nibbles went through quite a bit in the last month or so. :( You did very well on the "surgery" and bandaging. :)

I'm sure she knew you were trying to help, and felt better afterward. It also mirrors my experience with skittish rabbits that taking them out and handling them despite their aversion to it is effective in breaking through the barrier to a trusting relationship.

I completely understand your reluctance to cull her, instead giving her a chance. I know how attached you can become to an animal, even an unfriendly one. You only have a few rabbits compared to some of us loonies, so there were less individuals at risk. Not to say that you wouldn't be devastated if you lost them, of course!

You guys certainly gave her a wonderful last day. :) It is kind of nice to have a little forewarning when having to euthanize an animal, so you have the opportunity to make their last day special and prepare yourselves emotionally as well.

Give Fluffy some extra entertainment- a nice bull thistle comes to mind!- and big hugs from me to you and your family. :grouphug2:

Thanks, MSD... and it is odd how attached you can become to an aloof animal. Bunny-Wan Kenobi got her out often to hold her and pet her, but she refused to warm up... until the surgery. :roll:

We did give Fluffy a bull thistle that same day, but you're right -- I need to stick another one in there, and some other busy toys! :)

:grouphug2:

Y'all have been so sweet... I love this forum! :)

So very sorry about your loss MissM ... they do seem to be able to sneak into our hearts whether they give us the time of day or not ... it is their personality and ability to be companionable with others.

I know when my black EA doe lost her kits last week, she was quite out of sorts for several days ... whether she understood that the kits died, or it was her mothering instincts kicking in, I don't know, but what I do know is that until I took her out and held and petted her, she didn't settle down. Now even more than before she is insistant of pets and holding!

I applaud you for the wonderful last day you gave Nibbles ... it truely doesn't cost anything to be kind to our animals!

Latest posts

Back