Brining Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaulen

Reaction score
We found by brining the rabbit before cooking it, makes it super tasty and juicy.
Use about 2 quarts of water to 2T salt and 1/4 brown sugar then whatever fresh herbs from garden. Let sit in brine for about 2 to 4 hours.

Juicy even BBQd.

Thanks for the info.
I always wanted to try deep frying rabbits, kinda like fried chicken but been too worried it'd make the meat though. What's your take on that?

KimitsuKouseki":pnsl0jg0 said:
Thanks for the info.
I always wanted to try deep frying rabbits, kinda like fried chicken but been too worried it'd make the meat though. What's your take on that?

i know this post is several years old now but i wanted to reply just in case someone else was looking for an answer.

deep fried rabbit is really good! i made some last night. what i did was i brined it overnight to ensure it wasnt too tough in an herb brine i cooked. on top of that if you have a meat thermometer it makes it a lot easier to know when the rabbit is done cooking, but isnt dry. i stopped frying when the internal temp hit 160 degrees F. im not certain but i think the temp i had the oil at was around 325-380 degrees.

only possible downside to this is if you really like the taste of rabbit, brining it for so long takes away a lot of that flavor, but not all of it.

heres the breading recipe i made for myself, it should be enough for about 4 lbs of rabbit:

2 cups flour
tbsp pepper
tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp oregano
dash of cinnamon
dash of cajun spice

I brine my rabbit with salt and water.. this preserves the "rabbit flavor" . I don't like to add "sweeteners", or herbs to the brine, as it hides/ replaces so much of the flavor . Fryer age rabbits [8 to 10 weeks] , only need to be brined for 2 or 3 hours, or at very most over night ... - the longer the rabbit sits in brine, the more "natural flavor" you lose .. I add herbal flavors to the outside of the rabbit just prior to cooking, or to the breading mixture.

1 cup rock salt, to 1 gal non chlorinated water.

{I brine culled breed stock age rabbits, for 5 to 7 days in the fridge..- this makes them as tender as the fryers...'

Latest posts

Back