24 Carrot Rabbitry

City-fied Self-Sufficiency

Hey there! Thanks for dropping by 24 Carrot Rabbitry

The Best Plastic Wrap in the WORLD!

Seriously.

In general, I hate plastic wrap.  It’s a somewhat necessary evil.  I don’t use it unless I have to.  Why?  It tears wrong, then it sticks to itself like crazy, rendering itself practically useless unless you can employ another person to help you peel it apart so you can use it.  Then you put it on whatever you need to put it on, and its desire to stick to anything else or to itself is completely gone.  You end up with a loose mess of plastic barely blanketing your food.

Then I went to Bible college.  (Yeah, that’s got a lot to do with plastic wrap, right? :D )

I, like many other students, had a roommate who worked strange hours off campus.  We would put together plates of food in the cafeteria for those who missed dinner because of work.  I would make up a plate for my roommate (or maybe she ate elsewhere, and I made up a plate for someone else?  I can’t remember any more.  It’s been 20 years!), and the final step was to cover the plate in plastic wrap.

After doing this several times, I noticed how consistently well-behaved this plastic wrap was.  Now, granted, it was a little easier to use just because it was an industrial-sized roll which may have been on a permanently mounted stand (or maybe it was just heavy and stayed put), which meant you didn’t have to hold it with one hand and cover the plate with the other.  It pulled against you, which was a big help.  But the method of dispensing was not the only reason this stuff was better.

This plastic wrap didn’t really, REALLY stick to itself until you stuck it on something and pressed.  Sure, it would do some of the usual static-cling stuff, but it was easy to get it straightened out again — by yourself!  And then it actually stuck to the plate (which was stoneware, so that certainly helped) and stuck to itself, giving you a nice, tight film and seal.  I’ve found since then that it clings to pretty much anything, including most plastic, at least well enough to keep the thing covered… unlike any other wrap I’ve tried.

Every time I went to get a plate for someone, I would remind myself of the brand so I could make sure and buy it faithfully for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately, availability isn’t as good as it is for some of the other major brands.  This is NOT Saran Wrap, and NOT Glad Wrap.  I despise both equally.  This is none other than… (drum roll, please)… Reynolds plastic wrap.

It's Reynolds or nothing! If at all possible, anyway.

Unfortunately for me and plenty of other people I discovered by doing a search on “reynolds plastic wrap”, it has followed the trend of many other things that I’ve discovered and liked — things I actually would be brand-loyal for and get nothing else!  It’s been discontinued due to low demand.  That picture up there is one of the last rolls I snapped up in a dollar store once the other stores quit carrying it.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHH!!!

I’ve been using other brands with no satisfaction, until I discovered two more rolls of Reynolds I had bought and stashed.

However, thank goodness, Reynolds plastic wrap is popular with professional kitchens!  So while I may not be able to find it any longer in my local grocery store, I can buy it at Amazon or a number of other places online.  And, if I had a Sam’s Club membership, I could buy it there as well.  Most of it is called “Reynolds Foodservice Wrap”.  It comes in 1000 foot rolls with a couple of different kinds of cutters.

I can’t believe I’m considering ordering PLASTIC WRAP online!  But I almost certainly will, once I do the math.  Because I bet it’s a better price even with shipping than I was buying it in the store.  Let’s see… ~$2.50 for 12″x50′… $22 for 12″x1000′… why, yes, even with shipping, it’s less than half the price I used to pay for the other!  Awesome!

Some people say that Sam’s Choice (Wal-Mart) or Stretch-Tite are about as good… I may try them, but with that price for the wrap I really like… why?  :D

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8 Responses to “The Best Plastic Wrap in the WORLD!”

1. eco2pia says:

Costco. Kirkland brand, industrial sized roll, 3000 square feet, with optional slide cutter. Totally worth it.

2. eco2pia says:

if you run out of sources I mean!

• Miss M says:

Cool! :) I can’t go there, since there are no Costco stores in this state, and they don’t seem to offer it for order online. But they are in lots of other states, so that might help someone else! Thank you! :D

3. Ewald says:

Best plastic wrap in the world WAS the original Saran Wrap made by Dow Chemical. The stuff now called “Saran Wrap” is made by S.C. Johnson & Son: it is a different formula that no longer contains chlorine.

Why was the original Saran Wrap the best? It let absolutely no air through. I used it in printing (I am a printer) to cover my inks so they didn’t dry out from air. Even after several years, the Saran Wrap would keep the ink fresh as the day the ink can was first opened. But any other plastic wrap (and I have tried dozens)… air permeates the wrap and a dry skin forms on the ink, and large amounts of ink has to be thrown out each time a can of ink is opened.

No one makes the original Saran Wrap anymore. It also was called Saran Wrap Classic after the “cling” type Sarans were introduced.

• Miss M says:

Oh, wow, I had no idea Saran Wrap had changed formulations, but now that you mention it, I do remember that it used to be made by Dow! I recall trying Saran Wrap when I ran out of Reynolds, and I was surprised that it was so disappointing.

If you’ve tried dozens of kinds of plastic wrap, I assume you’ve run into Reynolds at some point. I know nothing of the permeability of it, but I do know it is made of PVC — so it does have the chlorine.

I now have a giant 18″ x 2000′ roll of Reynolds sitting on the island in my kitchen. I am so happy to have the stuff back! I ordered the one with the slide cutter from Amazon — http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-914SC-Length-Foodservice-Cutter/dp/B004NG9134/ref=pd_sbs_indust_3

I am as happy as a clam now. I just may have a lifetime supply. I may be handing this same box down to my daughter when I am old!

• Ewald says:

Started doing more research, since I waste a lot of ink because I don’t use some ink colours for years and the longer the ink sits without a good barrier on it, the thicker the crust forms until the whole can needs to be thrown out (I’ve been printing for nearly 50 years!).

“Saran” by Dow was a PVdC film (polyvinylidene chloride). I haven’t been able to find a North American manufacturer that makes PVdC film. But last night discovered there are several in China and India. There is also a company from the Netherlands called “Krehalon” that makes PVdC film. On Dow’s website plus at the other manufacturers, they all say that PVdC is the best barrier for water, gases (especially Oxygen), stops oder and aroma transfers, etc. It is also impervious to mold, bacteria and insects, and insoluble in oil and organic solvents. It also is flame-retardant and self-extinguishes.

Since I live near Richmond BC, where the Chinese population is close to 60% and there are many stores selling goods direct from China, I am going to go and check the film wraps there. My problem will be reading the Chinese text on the packaging, since many products do not have English on them. But at least I now know what to look for.

By the way, DOW says the Saran Wrap formula was changed in 2004 to low density polyethylene due to environmental concerns about the chlorine content. That’s too bad. The environmental risk of throwing out dry printer’s ink is much greater than the thin film needed to preserve the ink for future use.

• Ewald says:

I’m looking at some old boxes of “Saran” wrap. I remember that Dow used to print right on the box that it was the “Best” wrap.

When S.C. Johnson took over the “Saran” brand, it relabelled the box “Saran Classic Premium Wrap” and then printed on the packaging: “The premium plastic wrap for microwaving, freezing, and odour suppression. Best food protection! Best for freezer use. Best for microwave use.” (I have a partial roll of Saran Classic Premium that I use sparingly for rarely used colour inks.)

Then shortly later the “Saran Classic Premium Wrap” was replaced with “Saran Premium Wrap – Heavy Duty”. But SC Johnson removed all statements that the wrap was “the best” and replaced with this wording: “Saran Classic is now Saran Premium. In response to rising consumer concerns over the use of products contains chlorine-based plastics, SC Johnson has changed the Saran Classic formula to remove chlorine. For more information, please visit http://www.saran.ca.”

• Miss M says:

I’m so glad you’ve found that the stuff is still made! :D

I had no idea there was such a large Chinese population in Canada. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find the stuff there. Maybe take pictures of the Chinese PVdC products with you to help identify them. Maybe they would be labelled a differently enough from other wraps to be able to tell… I don’t know. Maybe somebody there who speaks English could help you out.

It’s a shame that SC Johnson did not continue making the original formulation for industrial and food service use, like Reynolds did. They may have had a market for it if they had.

It certainly isn’t the first time that something’s been changed in order to “save the planet”, only to have unintended consequences that are environmentally more significant than if they had just left it well enough alone. I’m not an environmentalist, far from it, but I am for wise stewardship. Knee-jerk reactions are not wise stewardship.

What sort of printing do you do, that you have some inks that go unused for a long time? That doesn’t sound like a 4-color process.