Biscuit's New Accommodations - picture heavy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
a follow up to this conversation problem-solving-around-biscuit-t7837.html

I built her cage today.

Her temporary accommodations

may302012010-2.jpg

may302012004-3.jpg

My helpers
may302012008-2.jpg

may302012006-2.jpg

my progress
may302012003-2.jpg

expanded steel base

may302012002-2.jpg

may302012009-2.jpg

may302012022.jpg

block of wood keeps the screws of the feeder from attacking passers by

Biscuit is happy
may302012014-1.jpg

may302012016-1.jpg

may302012017-1.jpg

Litter box. This has been moved all over the place. Was going to attach and hubby said
"you know Biscuit, if you put it in the wrong place she'll be less than impressed".

may302012018.jpg

Saying hi

may302012040.jpg

They still hide under the feeder

may302012029.jpg

my Favourite kit

may302012025.jpg

Think it will do?

may302012027.jpg

just before it took off running madly around the cage

may302012036.jpg

Tuckered out lady after all her exploring and rearranging

That looks very nice, ladysown! Very spacious. I'm sure they are delighted with their new digs. :)

Since biscuit tends to be a bit snippy when her space is invaded, why not place the J-feeder so you can fill it from the outside? You could make a simple cover for it by just putting a piece of 2x4 on top to keep the rain out.

RATS that's why. I've caught three thus far. I've tried hanging them outside the cage when I first put cages on the ground and wondered why my feed disappeared so quickly. Large poops, ill rabbits and scurrying critters in the dark... Not really wanting to go there again.

I'm fairly certain if a rat tried to invade biscuit's territory she'd attack it rather vigorously. But I can't keep the feed when it fills outside the cage.

I am open to suggestions about how to preserve my feed though. :)

have to admit though, since moving Biscuit outside away from other rabbits and into totally her own digs she's become a much nicer rabbit to work with. I still need to be mindful but my lad can pop his hands into her cage to say hi and she doesn't go for him, she growls, whines, and then ducks her head into a corner. She's a very funny lass.

Use her cage the other day (her old cage) as a background for some HL kits and boy oh boy did the "old" Biscuit come back rather quickly. I had to mind my manners for two days afterwards.

That looks great!!
You could even set it up off the ground for winter , then put it right back down for yummy spring grass...

i got 4 x 4, 2 x 7.5, 2 x 6, plus all the extra they cut off for $90 cash in hand. If I hadn't paid with cash it would have been about $110.

Once I rebuild my cages, most of them will be done with this.

NOTE: you MUST BE VERY CAREFUL which side you put facing up. One side sharp, one side smooth.

I really like it, would love to do something like this for my exercise pen. A note on expanded metal, it will rust, I bought a used hutch with almost all expanded metal and had to tie in 1/2" hardware cloth with bailing wire to patch the holes. Shame on me for not inspecting it closer before I bought it.

I bought some cages (used) about six years ago that have expanded metal as a base. They have seemed to rust at the same rate that my other cages have rusted, but they have remained smooth and easy on my bunny feet. When I learned that I can keep my guinea pigs on them (just this past year) I was sold on it as a product. We'll see how this metal that I bought holds up long term.

they fall through great and are SO easy to clean. :) They handle just about anything i throw at them.

Biscuit is using her litter box! woot woot! makes it so easy to clean now!!!

I ran into the issue of pulled hair, after it's use, "clogging" the floor. I've learned to remove any stray hair around the cage now.

they are holding up really well.

I painted the ones I put indoors as Biscuits looks rusty, but the rust doesn't flake at all.. so I"m not sure if they are rusting or just browning.... The painted ones are looking good. :) I'll pull her out before Winter and give it all a good spray paint covering though.

ladysown":23kat3tv said:
they are holding up really well.
Were you able to make some for the guinea pigs. I now have 9 rabbits. Will be trading 2 laying hens (under a year old), a rooster and my neutered male (they told me he was a she, umph) - for 3 bred female guinea pigs, tomorrow! I have pictures of the 3 guinea pigs, that I already have, in my gallery. I need to make a 4 ft long 'colony' cage and think that, I will go with that type of bottom.

Really looks nice! And Biscuit sounds like she's really enjoying her new digs. Using the litter box, becoming much more calmer. Kits are so sweet too. Thanks so much for sharing.

Karen

for a colony bottom for guinea pigs (laid on the ground??) it should work just fine.

I find that adults guinea pigs tend to handle whatever floor I put them on, anything under six months tends to need either a solid bottom or large spaced wires to prevent foot/leg breakage. The youngsters I've run on this metal base under six months... ran on it for almost a month without issues.

During the summer my pigs run on grass so I haven't been worried about finishing everything off for them. :) I have another three months before I bring them into the rabbitry for the winter.

Latest posts

Back