Australian Pet Rabits - virus

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks catherine99, I already knew about the new virus being released just wasn't sure when it was being released but I have just signed the petition though. After losing 14 rabbits (most were due to kindle in a day or two) & just over 60 growers the other Sunday from the heat wave (got to around 43 degrees I think) I have just under 83 breeding rabbits, some are Rare breeds, even though all my rabbits are vaccinated the Government doesn't consider the implications this new virus will have on Pet rabbits, show rabbits, rare breeds and commercial rabbits.
I also heard there was another unknown virus down in Sydney or Adelaide somewhere that kills rabbits under 12 weeks of age even newborns.

I don't know whether the fears about foods (greens, hay) are justified or not. The virus is due for release in 7 days.

Consider stockpiling hay.

There are 650 release sites Australia wide. 150 in Victoria.

I feed my rabbits a commercial pellet but my horses get hay, Do you know where to find the release sites for the Virus mainly for Northern NSW & Southern QLD as I live in Northern NSW not far from the Border. I travel to Stanthorpe QLD twice per week for work & pass a lot of wild rabbits running across the road in the morning which causes me a lot of concern on whether I bring the Virus back on my car tyres, might have to wash the tyres with 10% bleach before arriving home. I was also looking at my Vaccination records last night & noticed that 15 of my rabbits were due again 8 days ago, I don't know how I missed it but I'll have to Vaccinate them today & hope it's not too late.

Thanks, that website is very informative & a concern. I noticed the RHDV2 was released 3 mth ago near Killarney QLD which I travel though a fair bit, The falls (where the virus was released) is pretty much on the other side of the mountain where I live. The same virus was also released in Toowoomba so I have to tell the daughter she can't visit, and Wiangaree NSW which I travel through to get Rabbit pellets.

OMG - first the heat now this.

They are unsure how RHDV2 got into the wild/released. There is no vaccine for it. The marking on the map for it are confirmed cases not release sites.

There are some reports that carrots are infected with RHDV2.

Back