Alice has mastitis and/or an abscess

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Alice has mastitis and/or an abscess.

The swelling is on her left side just above the first teat. It is about the size of a large walnut and looks like it may break open. There is also some lesser swelling around the teat itself. The teat is not hard or darkened. The area around the swelling is red but not as dark a red as one might expect. The area is not hot to the touch and Alice does not seem bothered by it. Her appetite and activity level are both good, normal in fact, and the other teats appear to be fine.

We believe the infection to have started as a result of Alice's habit of resting that side against the cement blocks that hold the water crock in place. These have been removed and the whole pen cleaned out. We put down a layer of pine shavings to absorb any moisture. Nothing like closing the barn door after the horse has been stolen. :(

Alice's five kits were three weeks old yesterday. She typically would wean them over the next week or so, since she is in a colony and tends to rebreed happily. This last pregnancy was an OOPS (dratted Sex Change Fairy) and Alice was supposed to be resting for a few weeks then. We found and removed the buck responsible immediately upon discovering the kits, but it may have been too late. So she may be pregnant again (although she doesn't look it) and could kindle again in just over a week.

In addition to her regular hay and greens, we have been feeding Alice an enriched mix with wheat, oatmeal, sunflower seeds and a touch of blackstrap molasses. She has also been getting frequent treats of cooked potato, of which she is very fond. We felt she needed the calories since she has been a bit thin and nursed down. Having this OOPS litter only made things worse. In spite of her excellent appetite, she has been having trouble putting weight back on. I pulled this enriched mixture this morning, thinking that perhaps it contributed to the problem. I am giving her grass hay, gathered greens and kitchen oatmeal for the moment. I normally feed a natural diet of alfalfa and grass hay, gathered greens and whole grain, usually wheat. I'd like to hear what others think about whether a lighter diet may help dry her up or whether it is better to continue with the rich diet in hopes of building her up.

Sorry for the long post. I have tried to include the information that seems relevant. I need advice about how to treat this problem. I would also welcome opinions on whether to try drying her up by giving her herbs like mint, sage and yarrow - all of which she likes but that I normally withhold when a doe is pregnant or nursing.

My rabbits have been so healthy and trouble-free in the six years I've had them. We had two sudden deaths but sudden death gives no experience with treating problems. I feel like a newbie... and a pretty clueless one at that. Please help if you have experience with this. I don't know whether to apply hot compresses or to give her an ice bottle to lie against to reduce swelling. Should I treat it like an abscess and lance the swelling? Should I try to dry her up or let the kits keep nursing. I don't think they can use the affected teat and with only five there is no reason for them to try.

MAstitis requires use of the teat to do a good job of cleaning out the infection-- an abcess needs to be drained. An abcess close tothe mammary gland can infect that area--. Can you feel a wall around the larger lump? If so, lance it, let it drain, then put warm cpmpresses on both sites to get things moving OUT, Feed her a normal diet- help her dry up. Palpate her-- if she is pregnant, you need to enrich her diet and at the same time, keep that teat working-- infection will go on down the line if it is not gotten out real quick.

Confusing enough?

Very confusing, but I think I've got it.

Let's see... If there is a wall around the larger lump, I should treat it as an abscess and lance it, clean it out, apply warm compresses and (I think) keep it open so that it will drain. Apply warm compresses to the teat and surrounding area and express the milk or pus or whatever to keep it working. (The larger lump protrudes like a squeezed balloon. So is that what you mean by a wall or should I be looking for something else?)

If she does not seem to be pregnant, feed her a normal diet - hay, greens, grain. Dry her up, if possible, by including herbs that tend to do that like mint and sage. If she is pregnant, enrich her diet... but need suggestions. I could increase protein by feeding more alfalfa, willow etc. (Willow might also make her more comfortable, although she is as active as ever and doesn't seem to be in pain.)

By the way... just to complicate things, I am gimpy with sciatia and arthritis at the moment and we are without a vehicle, so need to use what we have, at least until I can get to town.

Sounds like you got it-- If you have a large bore needle and syringe, yu can check for uids in the larger lump without making a lengthy cut . No matter what, the teat area needs to be cleaned out-- once a mammary gland develops mastitis, the recurrence possibility goes up. getting as much as possible out via milk is the best bet-- Iam not sure about Cinnamon-- it is a natural antibiotic that can be sued for UTIs-- you can see if she will eat cinnamon-- it may help reduce infection.

now, here is the thing about infections and heat(fever) A fever is the bodies way of burning up virus and bacteria-- fevers have a purpose-- but they also do something stupid-- they weaken the bodies immune system-- fevers are a last ditch effort to rid the body of a pathogen. So, get her some willow to hold down the body temp and inflammation, but warm compresses will help the specific area deal with what it has to.

Oh, if you pull fluid out with a syringe-- you can 'lavage' the abscess-- fill with Saline solution, withdraw the fluids, refill, withdraw-- that can help remove bad stuff from deeper areas, and dilute anything left, making it a bit easier for the body to handle.

I don't know if you remember one of my first rabbits-- IO paid a lot of money to have the abscess removed-- and the abscess had really originated from behind the rib cage-- there was a 'tube' anchoring it running between two ribs. I suspect that it may have been cocci-- but the experience shows that abscesses do not always appear to be at the site of origin of the infection..

Oh, wonderful... I don't know how well I can handle this.

I don't have any needles or syringes... woefully ill-prepared for this and no way to get to town. I'll give her some willow bark and leaves, some yarrow (good stuff) and other building plants like red clover. Also the mint and sage to help dry her up. These are all plants she is accustomed to, so no worries there.

This statement from your answer puzzles me: "yu can check for uids in the larger lump without making a lengthy cut." uids???? You do make a lot of typos, Terry, but usually I can figure out what you mean. Not this time.

I think I can lance and clean the abscess. There should be some sterile saline around here in sort of a squirt bottle. I have triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) which may help keep the abscess open. (A YouTube video suggested vaseline.) I've been reading about human mastitis and apparently warm compresses soaked in an infusion of rosemary are supposed to be helpful. Rosemary has antibacterial properties. I fugure it can't hurt to use that instead of just warm water.

Oh, yikes, I wish I was feeling normal myself. It would help, you know?

FLUIDS-- sorry-- I didn't see any red lines--- yeah-- lance, wash out with the saline solution-- hey, a rosemary compress over both sites-- no harm. triple antibiotic is better than plan vaseline--
when one of my sheep had a lot of wounds-- I mixed tetracycline powder in vaseline-- applied it-- the vet thought it was a stroke of genius--

this is an old laptop-- the keys stick-- I think I have hit them firmly enough, but no-- you ought to see the number of times I have to put spaces in because that space bar is the worst.And I cannot figure out why there are certain letter pairs that I keep reversing--

Maggie -deep breaths ... I'mnot into lancing personally - I have done it but Imuch prefer compresses to draw out infection - I think opening a wound invites bigger problems
the weight loss worries me a bit too - how old is Alice? I know this is not is not a popular point of view on this board but uterine tumours are not uncommon in unspayed rabbits and i have seen dramatic weight loss as the only sign ... hopefully she's just run down from nursing ... I'd keep the amount of food up but make sure it isn't too rich .. if these babies are eating fairly well I'd go ahead and dry her up including mint and herbs to do so

hang in there -I have one doe who is not right tonight either ... my favourite blue eyed mum from Christmas

Thanks so much, Terry and Brody.

I hadn't thought about uterine cancer, Brody. Alice... she must be about three years old now. I'll have to check my records. She has been popping out a lot of kits this year. The last two litters were unplanned... She is a little hussy that can't say no to a buck. We did try to rest her... and then "John Doe" (who we thought was Jane Doe) jumped the barricade. If she gets through this problem we will not be breeding her anytime soon and we will be able to assess her condition after she has time to recover. As you know, she is David's favourite and has managed to achieve semi-pet status, so we will be keeping her even if we can't breed her, as long as she has a good quality of life.

Sorry to hear that your blue-eyed gal is not doing well. It's always the favourites, isn't it?

So sorry for the does health problems Maggie, and Brody. Hoping all works out for both of you!!

fuzzy - thanks .. I have NO history on this lovely doe at all - she may be quite ancient .. she is a dear friendly girl though - who thoroughly enjoys being groomed ...

She's extremely thin and very weak - and the onset was basically over one weekend so I'm quite concerned ... She is still bright eyed and wanted her groom and cuddles tonight but I wouldn't be shocked if she's gine in the am :(

She had a good life with me Maggie - I just wish I'd gotten her spayed but is wishes were fishes I'd swin in the sea or whatever that trite saying is ...
She may rally - Pongo scared me a few times in her 15 years with me... so I haven't written her off yet but my instinct is usually pretty good now...

Well, Alice was very good during her "surgery" and is happy to be back in her pen muching on yummy greens and a small piece of cooked potato.

The abscess had broken a bit and oozed so we did not lance it but just expressed as much gunk as we could, flushed it with sterile saline and applied warm compresses soaked in chamomile tea with rosemary. Followed this by applying triple antibiotic ointment. I don't know how much good we did, but at least the abscess is no longer under pressure. There is still some swelling beside the original swelling and that may be a second abscess. We want to follow up with Pen G as soon as we can get some and, of course, we will be checking on Alice regularly and continuing treatment as necessary.

All in all, it went better than I expected. Another time I will approach a situation like this with more confidence. Thanks to all who gave help and encouragement, both on RabbitTalk and on Homesteading Today.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:38 pm __________<br /><br />Brody, how is your blue-eyed bunny doing? Been thinking about her. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Perfect - keep compresses on it to keep drawing oout infection and keep it open so it will drain ... like appuncture wound you don't want it healing over too fast and trapping more infection

Sadly ms Blue Eyes is no more... hate sudden unexlicable deaths :( (thanks for asking)

keep us posted on Alice

Awwww... I'm so sorry, Brody. At least she didn't linger a long time, too ill to enjoy life. Sudden inexplicable deaths are hard on the owner, but likely easier on the pet.

Alice was stressed about being taken out of the colony, but did not struggle much on the table. Thank goodness she and David have a good rapport... It really helped that she trusts him. I'll post an update. Do you know if I can get Pen G at TSC? I guess I'll be calling around tomorrow.

hmmm
I've seen it at the county store I'm fairly sure .... let melook in my fridge ...I have 3 small tubes of injectable pen G in the fridge that are about to expire ..which is not an issue really but they might as well get used - I'll try to remember to wrap them up so they stay cold and then remember to get Tom to put them in your mailbox in am

That would be wonderful, Brody! Uh, could you send an appropriate syringe and needle too? I'll be happy to reimburse you, of course. We'd just be so glad to be able to get Alice started on the Pen G so quickly.

hmmm not sure what I have in the way of syringes here ... will dig

was up too much of last night to thinkof asking Tom to drop it off but if i can find the dosing material will bring it this afternoon - I'm up more than half way to you anyhow at 4 ..

Latest posts

Back