Zami is having surgery

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Last night we had barbcue pork ribs for supper. Afterward we wrapped the bones in multiple bags and put them at the bottom of the lidded trash can. Our akita who's never done more than grab a wayward meat wrapper off the top of the trash can dug down to the bottom, pulled it out, and tore through the bags without tipping the trash can over or making a sound. She then ate a half slab of rib bones. This morning she was vomiting blood so we took her in for xrays. She was still bouncing around wiggly with her tail up so I thought maybe she chewed it all up really well like she usually does with things and there was just a piece or 2 bothering her but xrays showed about a dozen good sized chunks of bone jammed in her stomach at the opening to the intestines. They just took her in to surgery and are going to call us when she is done. :(

Ouch-- one of my biggest fears is being forced to decide to have an animal undergo sudden, major surgery--
bear in mind-- this will not deter Zami from doing the same again-they never seem to remember the consequences of a rib-fest, no matter how poorly their stomachs tolerated it. I do beleive you have found Zami's garbage weakness....
Hugs for the furkid,

In one more month this would never have been an issue again. Where we are moving has it's own closet for the trash can and when we get a house it's going to have more kitchen space so we can put the trash can in a pantry or under the sink. It's simply the lack of planning and space in this house that forces the trash can to be where the pets can reach it.<br /><br />__________ Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 pm __________<br /><br />She just woke up from surgery and found she has an IV again. She hates IVs so now she's in a cone collar to stop her from eating it. They are going to try to keep her on it until Mon and then switch to oral meds. Very very unhappy dog. She hates the vet after she spent 4 days there as a puppy when she bled out after her spay surgery. I'm not sure we'll ever get her in the door again without carrying her.

Sorry to hear about this but glad she got the surgery before it was too late. Sending lots of getbettervibes for Zami

Awww, sorry to hear about this! I wish her a very speedy recovery!

The trash closet sounds like a great thing to have! We have our trash built in to a cupboard here, and there's never an issue with kitties getting into anything they don't belong in since it's behind closed doors. It really works great!

I once had my kitchen trash can behind the lower cabinet doors, with 'childproof' latches installed. That did not deter one very determined pair of canines-- an Irish Setter and a Basenji. I hope to put latches on these cabinets very soon-- and hopefully, Connor will not remember much about them-- Meanwhile, the trash can does have a locking lid, and gets emptied before the bag is at capacity. we do make some unusual choices when we have animals-- I know of one person, kept a garbage can on the table top, with bungee cords holding the lid in place. A Bit extreme in my book-- I would have put the thing out the back door-- she did live in a warm climate!

Well our other dog is acting a bit odd. Normally she's a fairy high energy exciteable dog but she's just been laying around. When I mentioned it to my husband he tried to get her to play and she gave up after about 30seconds and laid down. Usually when she's uncomfortable at all though she very vocal about and there has been no whining or pacing. I'm not sure if she's just confused because the other one is not here. She was following the cat around for awhile. If she upset her stomach a little getting hand outs at mother's day gathering today or if she also got ahold of some of the bone. We will take her with Monday when we go to check Zami if she's not acting normal again.

Ihave had animals get lethargic when another four footed family member is not presetn-- they do form attachements--

Haru recovered from her upset stomach and seems fine. They want to keep Zami until she eats and poops but she's barely eating for them and she can hold it for days when she eats normally. I'm thinking today of just asking them to release her. I am home all day so I can supervise her and then she'd eat normally and poop normally. Right now only one person there can handle her. She refuses to move or eat and growls at everyone else. Honestly I'm surprised they managed to find anyone she'd listen to. She is a japanese bred akita. They are loyal one person dogs and often not friendly with strangers. This is why I would never attempt to board her.

She probably would do better in a home environment, especially if she feels more comfortable there. Hope all goes well!

Zami is home and hungry. She wouldn't stop whining so I gave her part of a can but that meant I had to give the other dog and the cat part of the can too. Hopefully she's more content now. She's only suppose to eat very small meals at a time.

i hope she's healing well the small meals are an important part of gastro recovery ...

hang in there

Convincing her that small meals are good is turning out to be very difficult. Now that her hunger strike is over she has decided she should inhale all food possible. She was whining and whining last night so we kept taking her outside, giving her water, and gave her extra pain meds but still the whining. We finally figured out she wanted more food. My husband tried giving her an extra 1/4th can over what she was suppose to get and she quieted for about an hour before she started in again. Finally around 5am after checking for the 10th time that there was nothing else wrong with her I yelled at her to shut up and she turned down the volume enough for me to get a few hours sleep. Today she's already finished her can and I'm soaking some kibble since my husband won't be home with more canned food until this evening. I was going to boil some rabbit for her but my doctor appointment took forever and I have to be at martial arts class in 30mins.

Happy to hear Zami is improving :) Its so scary when our furry friends are in trouble and need care. But it sounds like her appetite is back in full force and she is truly on the mend now. Yay! :)

Zami had staples out yesterday and no longer has to eat a soft diet. Which is really good because Tuesday she decided she was tired of eating the same brand of canned food and nothing else despite us having 2 different flavors so she was back to refusing food. I finally got her to eat kibble today. They normally have majority of their food in raw but we are in the process of moving and all their raw food is in the freezer at the new place so they have to wait until at least sunday.

Back