your first aid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small bottle of Pedialyte for fighting dehydration, impactions and stress and some nail clippers are things I like to have around.

A soft bristled Man's hair brush, [or Hare Brush]
and a slicker brush. These will become very useful for grooming.
A needless Syringe, for feeding when/should it become necessary.
A tube of Ivermectine/Zimectrine It will prove invaluable when needed.
Styptic powder or Cornstarch. For stopping bleeding and cleaning a White Coat.
Alcohol Preps or a small bottle of rubbing Alcohol. To clean ears and disinfect tools.
That's just a few things.
Ottersatin.

grooming tools
doTERRA essential oils (therapeutic grade and can tackle everything from cage cleaning/disinfecting, stop bleeding, worming, mites, infections, calming, stomach upset of all kinds). and you can use them for yourself and your family replacing most, maybe all your over the counter and prescription meds and cleaning products. period.<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am __________<br /><br />

Just a note to be careful if you are using essential oils around rabbits... or any other animal. Some can cause adverse reactions. Research each one carefully and be sure to dilute it before using.

^^very true. Anyone using essential oils for any reason should know what they are doing ahead of time.
melaleuca should not be used on cats and I'm weary about using it on my buns. although, I did in one situation and all went well. I should add that when using oils with animals, dilute, dilute, dilute! Their skin is thinner and faster absorbing. olive oil or fractionated coconut oil or veggie oil are best. And, therapeutic grade EO's should be the only ones used.
Krystal Beers and I are both big Therapeutic Grade EO users for our animals.

i keep gse and tto in the house at all times. but i may look into getting some other kinds for down at the rabbitry. I am a firm believers in EO for humans i just havent been sure what kind to use on animals.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 pm __________<br /><br />i am so getting one of those brushes!!

I currently have around for the rabbits:

Small slicker brush
Shedding brush
Nail clippers
Cornstarch
Witch hazel
Rubbing alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide
Feeding syringe
Gauze
3cc syringes + 18 and 22g needles
Pen G (antibiotic)
Ivermectin
Triple antibiotic ointment
Sterile eye drops
Antifungal foot cream
Simethicone

I just tossed papaya tablets because I never use them and don't have angoras around these days, but I did keep the small pair of shears. I have garden beds and planted red and gold raspberry canes a few years ago along with a weeping willow tree. I have wild blackberry, dandelions, and a full herb garden so I usually have herbal "meds" around if needed, too.

I guess there is a lot more some folks keep in their first aid/care kits that are posted online, but I think this is all I have for now.

Best of luck!

Lauren

Latest posts

Back