You can do it! ....At least I hope so?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Thunder, my Blue FG buck.

84qUCYo.jpg

He will be 9 months old this July. I had done quite a bit of reading about when FG's are ready to start breeding. Most of what I read online said that FG's start breeding at 8-9 months of age, of course for bucks you wait for their testicles to drop, and does you wait to for a certain weight point, and age. Lately on a FG group on FB I have seen several people posting about them breeding their FG's at 6 months of age.

Recently I have started placing a doe with Thunder, just to see "how much he could pull off." So far he seems a bit interested in the ladies, honestly he's more interested when she wants to put up a fight, lol. So far he loves on her a little, mounts, give a few humps, and lays on her. She will wiggle a little, he gives another hump then just lays back down. Right now I have been giving him first time does, because all my experienced does are not in shape enough to have another litter. I have checked many times for his testicles dropping, and really he's got so much fur down there I can't determine what is a tuft of hair, and what is a testicle, lol.

I think I am going to continue trying with first time does, and if all else fails I will check my does who have bred before for who is in at least the best shape for the time being.

So I wanted to ask a few questions. What is the best age to start breeding FG bucks, how often should I keep tossing does at him, and do you think he will be ready for breeding soon-ish?

Letting him watch an experienced buck breed a doe can help... and so can putting that doe in with him right after she's been bred by the other buck. :)

Okay thank you both! I will be checking over my does today to see which out of the ones that just had litters is in the best shape at least enough to possibly be able to handle another litter. Not sure he'd even get her pregnant at this time being that it has been well into the mid 90's for a week.

Okay thank you both! I will be checking over my does today to see which out of the ones that just had litters is in the best shape at least enough to possibly be able to handle another litter. Not sure he'd even get her pregnant at this time being that it has been well into the mid 90's for a week.

Back