YES, YES, YES!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
I found some cages online for-- :p --$1 a hole! They are small, so I take out the deviders, and BAM!!!! Super cheap cages. Gotta love CL!

Oh, and my DH, who has whined and grumbled about my rabbits (and how they are magically multiplying :lol: )from day one, told me I should buy THIRTY SIX!!! Can you BELIEVE IT?!!! :p

Gotta love it!

I bought them from Craigslist. Now, normally, I can't find great deals on here, but I was randomly looking (okay, surfing for rabbits) and found an ad that showed pictures of a HUGE HOUSESIZED pile of cages...The $1 a hole was for runs of 12 small cages, and it even said that they would accept LESS!!!!

The bunny accident may have been the best thing, lol, I agree that it probably did it :D

I sorry ladies, but this this title is just wrong! :p

No telling who may be visiting the thread :eek:

:roll:

Photo0729.jpg

picture of cages in question...

__________ Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 pm __________

I bought 4 runs...so the way I am going to do them, I'll end up with about 24 good cages :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:23 pm __________<br /><br />I have ten adult rabbits I am keeping, at this point, Soooo, I can gather another five breeders, easy, lol. I'll be finding harliquins, next. :p

I am also taking smaller mesh 1/2 x1/2 inch, Which I already have, to make the floors more comfortable, as well as disinfecting...My next project is making a trailer I bought into a rabbit brn, lol. The trailer that the cages are sitting on in the picture, as a matter of fact! I will take pictures and post it, as it gets done, too! I am SOOO happy. Anyone have free plywood? lol.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, yeah, I ended up paying $48 for all the above cages...

What kind of wire is on the cage floors now, Shara? The standard for rabbits is 1" x 1/2" welded wire on floors... very strong and it will let the droppings fall through. Not sure they would with 1/2" mesh... and if it is "hardware cloth" it may not be rigid enough to protect the buns from sore hocks.

right now I think it it 1x2, although I would have to measure to be sure. The stuff I have now, I used in my makeshift dog kennels-turned-rabbit cages, to get them out of the muck in trays. It HAS bowed, but poop went through fine, even in the big rabbits, and I am leaving the original floors in, to support the mesh. I will definately keep a close eye on their feet, to make sure they are not having problems, and keep an eye on the cages to make sure they stay clean....good things I hadn't thought about...

Oh, and Paula....they had 28 runs more THAT I COULD SEE! And more to pull out of the blackberry bushes, lol. So I could give you the #, and next time you are up here, maybe stop by Dallas and pick some up, lol.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:22 pm __________<br /><br />I bet you could even get them for half the price I paid ( I was so happy, I didn't bother haggling, lol)

I would love to get the number from you! It shouldn't be too long before I have to head that way again.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, btw, how long are those banks?

They are 20 ft long, from what the guys tell me, I will measure them tommorrow, when I clean more of them :) I emailed you the number, Paula.

Thanks! I got it. My friend and I are hoping they have some when we have money to go get them. We just bought out another rabbitry going out of business and I ended up with 22 more rabbits out here. I need the cages, but spent the money. LOL

shrarvrs":752w8c6j said:
They are 20 ft long, from what the guys tell me, I will measure them tommorrow, when I clean more of them :) I emailed you the number, Paula.

From what I can gather in the picture, the cages are 14" wide and there are 13 in a row. If I am judging correctly, the cages are about 12' long. If that is the case, pulling the dividers, would give you a cage about 28 inches wide, but only about 14" inches deep, which is rather small for a meat rabbit. If you were to remove the dividers andhook the cages together back to back that would give you cages about 28"x 28" which would be a much better size for them. That would still keep your price down to $4 a cage.

Here is a link to the Alabama Extension Service web site on raising meat rabbits:

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0080/

and a quote:

"Cage sizes vary depending on your preference and size of the rabbits. A minimal size cage per rabbit should be 24 x 30 inches. A larger cage allows for a nesting box and enough space for a doe and her litter. The nesting box is placed in a cage long enough to allow a doe to kindle (give birth) and provide housing for the young rabbits until they are weaning age. Materials are available for you to build your own cages, or you can buy them from other rabbit producers who build cages to sell."

28" x 28" (4 cages) would be 784 square inches.....24" X 30" (recommended minimum) is 720 square inches. The article implies that a cage for raising does should be larger. Mine are 30" x 40". So using two strips back to back might be better.

I was looking good at them, and since my does are only babies, yet, it is hard to see, but my buck is older, and when looking at him, I think you are very right, avdpas77. Thanks!<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 pm __________<br /><br />They are about 15' long (a few inches more, actually), 18" front to back, and 18" tall. I just went and measured :D

that will do then. Just make them longer if you can. Doing back to back would give you 36" deep cages and that's HARD to get baby bunnies out of.

Latest posts

Back