yay more kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Twix is giving birth. She's been sitting in the same spot since last night without touching her food. I checked her an hour ago before the dogs got loose. Then after recapturing the dogs my mom and sister went in to look at Amako's kits without me so I didn't notice anything different. My husband just got home, went to get something out of the freezer in there, and asks me if I know there are more bunnies. I went to check and there's Twix sitting in the exact same spot she has been in all day but her nest box is full of fur. There's 2 little chocolates in there. Very active but neither fed yet. I hope strange people in the room didn't bother her too much and that she has more to go. She hasn't pulled that much fur but since they are in the house it's not too concerning and maybe she'll keep working on it.

As soon as I locate my camera (it's been lost for 2 days) I'll get pics of both Twix and Amako's little ones who have their eyes open now. They keep staring over the edge of the nest box debating climbing out but haven't quite been brave enough yet.

:up: Yeah for the newest kits! I can't wait to see them. I love it when they just open their eyes.

I can't take pictures cause my camera's ac charger died and the connection is proprietary!!! :cry_baby:

3 kits born but one dead. I think we have a chocolate and a lilac. One kit is much lighter but not completely pink. Both parents are chocolate with lilac in their background. The buck has also thrown one himi and the doe is out of a himi but other than that there is only REW in their pedigrees so I'm not sure whether we'll ever get himis or just rew. The doe is being rather lethargic. She did feed them at least a little last night or early this morning but otherwise she's been sitting in the same spot since yesterday morning before they were born. I gave her a few bean sprouts and snap peas last night after she gave birth which she ate along with the flax cookie she'd ignored the day before. Today she didn't look any better so I put some clover/alfalfa/grass mix hay with lots of leaves directly in front of her along with some mature grasses and a dandelion leaf. She ate the greens and had a mouthful of hay when I went to steal her nestbox but when I returned them she was just sitting there again. :(

I wish I had some good advice to give you. Just keep up what your doing. I hope she snaps out of it soon. Is this her first litter? If not how many has she had in the past? Maybe she's just tired.

It is just possible that she is not finished yet. Three is a small litter... there may be more to come and that could account for her weird behaviour. i hope she is okay... and gets back to normal soon.

I ended up taking her to the vet. We confirmed she has no more kits in her, does not appear to be having any contractions or straining, and checked for signs of infection. Her ears are rather warm to the touch but the thermometer did not show a fever. Mostly we ruled things out that I was worried about. The only thing we could find is that her genitals are very swollen and may be causing her pain. So I'm giving her metacam today and tomorrow along with trying to get her to eat so she has more energy. I soaked pellets and alfalfa leaves in banana puree. I hope that triggers her appetite without upsetting her digestive tract.

My $25 rabbit just turned in to a $75 rabbit but even if we ignore the pet aspect if I'd lost her I might lose the kits and in the end getting a new doe of the same quality (I got a great deal on her and my buck)plus the lost kits would cost me more than $75.

Twix is much more active and ate probably 1/8th cup (water/juice inclusive) of soaked pellets and alfalfa leaves. I also got some pics of the 2 little ones with my phone.

1015102232.jpg

1015102233.jpg

Does the light one look lilac? It's very light but it's skin doesn't look completely pink like the mostly white broken of Amako's litter so I don't think it's rew or himi.

AWWWW I do not know anything about color but I thank you for posting the pics!

So cute! Y'know, I was there when Squeak opened her eyes, and she's been nothing but trouble ever since!

Finally managed to hunt down an old digital camera since mine is toast now. These guys are big compared to Amako's litter and a lot less jumpy.

100_0497.jpg

100_0498.jpg

100_0502.jpg

The little ones are bouncing around causing trouble now.

100_0510.jpg

100_0509.jpg

Making off with mom's flax cookie while she's too afraid of the camera to eat it:
100_0507.jpg

Ashige is getting his first breeding experience tonight.
100_0508.jpg

100_0512.jpg

The cage was stripped and then all the rabbits were added back together while I took pics which seemed to be plenty to keep Twix from getting territorial. She was hiding behind and on him then grooming him between camera flashes. Since this is his first attempt and Twix is not a very aggressive doe, plus that cage is 3x6', I plan to just leave him in there over night and put him back in his wire cage tomorrow. Mocha would breed the poor does a few dozen times in less than an hour. They would probably be ready to kill him by morning but it is useful that he gets the job done in less time than it takes me to feed and water them all.

Latest posts

Back