wry neck question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopSuey

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have never had a case of wry neck before in my herd so I do not know much about it. When a rabbit has wry neck do they hold their head at a tilted angle constantly or is it a come and go kind of thing. One of my does was holding her head kind of cockeyed but then should would straighten out when I called her name. Getting kind of paranoid about it.

Thoughts?

Wry neck is usually a 'fixed' position- you can move it yourself, but the rabbit is too uncomfortable to move it himself. depending on the cause of wry neck, other symptoms will show up very quickly. I would suggest going to Barbi Browns bunnies site and reading what she has to say-- she is very informative about the non-injury causes. (ramming a head into a cage wall can cause a wry neck)

She could be getting some head tilt issues due to wax build-up in her ears. Make sure you check her ears & clean them thoroughly.

Checked ears, looked good but cleaned them anyway to be safe. Should I quarantine her? Going to the feed store first thing in the morning to get some Ivomectin. She is eating a drinking fine.

CS, you may want to check for ventilation issues where you have your rabbits housed. Lack of proper ventilation can cause it. The videos on Purina's Rabbit Chow website has a couple of judges and long-time breeders discussing it, and I was a bit surprised to hear it myself.

I don't believe it can be transmitted between rabbits, but don't hold me to that one.

Thanks SatinsRule! They are all in outside hutches, with lots of ventilation having three sides wire and loosely covered at night.

What I have read about wry neck is that it is a infection that gets into the inner ear, I have around 850 total rabbits in my barn and I now have 7 with wry neck, the winter time is when I have the most trouble with this.

ChopSuey":2t7ltwr9 said:
Thanks SatinsRule! They are all in outside hutches, with lots of ventilation having three sides wire and loosely covered at night.

That rules that one out. ;)

** update**

The doe is doing much better, the head tilt is about 85% gone. She is perky, eating and drinking normally. I have had her inside where I can keep an eye on her and will probably put her back outside this weekend. The morning after I noticed the head tilt I gave her a pea size dose if Ivermectin (horse wormer paste) and a pea size dose of Pancur. After that is has been a daily dose of Pancur followed by another dose of Ivermectin one week after the first. Going to continue the Pancur for a few more days and decide what to do at that time. If she continues to straighten out and thrive I won't cull.

Back