Register

Wrong Ear

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Wrong Ear

Post Number:#1  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:05 pm

I am new to rabbits, I am sure you have heard that before. I bought a buck and a doe from a local breeder.

First thing I need to know is do you look at the rabbit from front meaning head or the back meaning tail to determine which ear gets the tattoo in. I am pretty sure its the back that means my doe has the right ear tattooed by the breeder. Which means its wrong ear. The buck if you look at the left ear from the back of the rabbit is right, I hope.

So, what do i do with this doe?

Contact the breeder and let her know its wrong?

Deal with it. which means no showing of the rabbit?

I just dont know what to do with her. :?
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 625.00

Re: Wrong Ear

Post Number:#2  Unread postby powellanimals » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:41 pm

It's the rabbits left ear so when looking at it, it's the one near your right hand.
https://www.facebook.com/powellanimals/

Post Number:#3  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 pm

Yep!! its in the wrong ear for sure. So what should I do about it?
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,196.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 am

Tattoo the other ear as well. Or ask the breeder to do it. The tattoo for show has to be in the correct ear, but I don't think they'll DQ you for having a tattoo in he other ear as well.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby alforddm » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:52 am

SoDak Thriver wrote:Tattoo the other ear as well. Or ask the breeder to do it. The tattoo for show has to be in the correct ear, but I don't think they'll DQ you for having a tattoo in he other ear as well.

They very well could. The right ear is supposed to be reserved for rabbits that are actually registered with the ARBA. I'm interested in hearing more on this.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Prisma » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 pm

I've seen it DQ'd for once. There was no R insignia so was DQ'd for....it doesn't happen often but if it comes down to being nit picky OR just a judges pref...it will be closely looked at.

Only the left is to be done for showing with no oddball symbols, just letters and numbers, any thing else is a DQ. Any thing that can be seen as "off" color is a DQ as well.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

Post Number:#7  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry wrote:I've seen it DQ'd for once. There was no R insignia so was DQ'd for....it doesn't happen often but if it comes down to being nit picky OR just a judges pref...it will be closely looked at.

Only the left is to be done for showing with no oddball symbols, just letters and numbers, any thing else is a DQ. Any thing that can be seen as "off" color is a DQ as well.

This is what I thought as well. So should contact the breeder? about this.
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Prisma » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Nothing they can really do, all you can do is show and see if you get dq'd. You may contact them and let them know that the issue came up while going to show the rabbit, that way don't have the same thing happen again.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,363.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:45 am

I tattooed the right ear of some buns that I didn't want shown...

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Zass wrote:I tattooed the right ear of some buns that I didn't want shown...

A rabbit judge and some fellow breeders and I were talking about this as means of keeping rabbits from being shown- and the judge posed this question to us all "How many times have you seen a judge look in the right ear?" to which we answered "Never." So we came to the conclusion that the only way to make a rabbit unshowable would be to use symbols in the left ear- but even then people might just retattoo the ear and disguise that somehow.

At the small regional shows they probably wont catch it... if you were to enter in the breed nationals or the ARBA convention they might though. And in both cases, the higher the rabbit goes in winning the classes, the more likely it will get caught.

bigfoot_158 wrote:So, what do i do with this doe?

Contact the breeder and let her know its wrong?

Deal with it. which means no showing of the rabbit?

I just dont know what to do with her. :?

I would let the breeder know so it doesn't happen again.

As for what to do- well, what was your main reason for buying them? To rack up points in the national standings? (In which case you need to be a member of the national breed club as well as ARBA.) If that was your primary reason for the purchase, I would ask for another rabbit. Most rabbits aren't shown beyond the first year if even to that point, so if they are older seniors they don't have much of a show career left if any. I would just breed them.

If you do show them, good etiquette if you win would be to let the other exhibitors know that the rabbit is out of so-and-so's breeding.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#11  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:56 pm

Ok thanks to all.
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,196.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 pm

Zass wrote:I tattooed the right ear of some buns that I didn't want shown...

Out of curiosity: why would you not want a rabbit shown?
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:59 pm

SoDak Thriver wrote: Zass wrote:

Some breeders will sell an animal as "pet quality" and then the buyer turns around and shows it. If it is a poor example of the breed that tarnishes the breeder's reputation- "Did you see the lop that Big Name Breeder sold as a show rabbit?!? It would have been tacos at my house!"

Which is why most of us terminally cull anything that isn't show quality. ;)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,363.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Zass » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:16 am

MamaSheepdog wrote:
SoDak Thriver wrote: Zass wrote:

Some breeders will sell an animal as "pet quality" and then the buyer turns around and shows it. If it is a poor example of the breed that tarnishes the breeder's reputation- "Did you see the lop that Big Name Breeder sold as a show rabbit?!? It would have been tacos at my house!"

Which is why most of us terminally cull anything that isn't show quality. ;)

:yeahthat:

I've been able to make a decent profit selling mis-marked harlequin kits without pedigrees. Probably due to a couple couple of BYMR breeders with excellent photography skills..

Anyway, they are sweet enough to be pets too, and I don't mind selling off some culls to pay for feed. Those culls are definitely not show quality. I'm actually more worried about my brood stock supplier's reputation than my own though, since I'm a nobody who raises meat rabbits, and she shows on a national level.

Female
BunnyBucks: 1,040.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby fhjmom » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:22 pm

I have asked several judges and registrars about tattoos in the right ear due to the policies of our local county show and validating breeding rabbits. I was told by every one of them that a right ear tattoo of any type is not a disqualification. The only issue is that the tattoo may prevent a registrar from being able to also give the rabbit a registration tattoo, but if there is room in the ear, having both a registration tattoo and another tattoo is not an issue as far as any of those I spoke with were concerned. (It was, however, an issue for us since we were discussing Netherlands with tiny ears, so there isn't much room for more than one tattoo.)

I would ask the breeder to tattoo the correct ear or have it tattooed yourself. I see meat pen rabbits with validation tattoos in the right ear shown in breeding classes after the county shows are over quite often. I have never seen a judge ever even mention the right ear validation tattoos.
Tamara :)
Backstage Rabbitry
http://www.backstagerabbitry.com

Next