Register

Wrong All Along??? Opal vs Blue Otter...

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,420.00

Re: Wrong All Along??? Opal vs Blue Otter...

Post Number:#16  Unread postby MKirst » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm

So then an Opal is really a full extension (Blue) or dilute black Agouti and a Blue Otter is full extension dilute of black in "at" genes paired with a self gene ? This is so confusing.

I don't think I'm understanding this right. So if I blow into Jacks fur and there's rings or color bands he's an Agouti and if no color bands/rings he's Otter ?

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,840.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Nyctra » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm not sure what the SOP refers to, but from what I know so far, opal means blue agouti [ A_ B_ C_ dd E_ ], and blue otter [ aa(t) B_ C_ dd E_ ] is non-agouti blue with the otter pattern.
Otter/Tan can be seen on black, blue, chocolate, and lilac non-agouti's, and can even show up on torted rabbits. Throw in the chinchilla gene and the otter pattern changes a bit to turn into 'marten' I think?
kehehe Crazy genetics. o3o
I wonder if otter would have an influence on a steel rabbit's appearance? :shock:

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

MKirst wrote:So then an Opal is really a full extension (Blue) or dilute black Agouti and a Blue Otter is full extension dilute of black in "at" genes paired with a self gene ? This is so confusing.

I don't think I'm understanding this right. So if I blow into Jacks fur and there's rings or color bands he's an Agouti and if no color bands/rings he's Otter ?

All are full color (C) varieties. All are non extension (E) varieties. Opal and blue are not the same locus. Blue (aaB_C_ddE_) is a dilute self black (aaB_C_D_E_) . Opal (A_B_C_dd_E)is a dilute black agouti(A_B_C_DE). Otter (at_B_C_D_E_)is a tan pattern.

Yes. Unless there is something really wrong, all agoutis have rings, even if the the rufus band is missing, there will be clear blue/black, white, surface color rings.

__________ Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm __________

Nyctra wrote:I'm not sure what the SOP refers to, but from what I know so far, opal means blue agouti [ A_ B_ C_ dd E_ ], and blue otter [ aa(t) B_ C_ dd E_ ] is non-agouti blue with the otter pattern.
Otter/Tan can be seen on black, blue, chocolate, and lilac non-agouti's, and can even show up on torted rabbits. Throw in the chinchilla gene and the otter pattern changes a bit to turn into 'marten' I think?
kehehe Crazy genetics. o3o
I wonder if otter would have an influence on a steel rabbit's appearance? :shock:

Steel should have no affect on an otter, because it just causes the black band to go further down the hair shaft, and since there are no rings on the otter, you would never know this, unless it went so far down that the lower band otter markings were affected.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:13 pm

But steel could affect an Opal.. just like it affects a castor or a chestnut.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Post Number:#20  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Devon's Mom Lauren wrote:But steel could affect an Opal.. just like it affects a castor or a chestnut.

Now I would like to see that. I saw a pict of a steel affected castor and it was very interesting. It kind of looked like a reverse tort, best way I can describe it. I might like that in dilute.

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:30 pm

The blue in question is a Squirrel though (Blue Chin)... unfortunately it does have very poor ring definition and with it the rest of the agouti-ness it should be displaying. So not one to keep for show lines, but for meat or pet not a problem..

Post Number:#22  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Devon's Mom Lauren wrote:The blue in question is a Squirrel though (Blue Chin)... unfortunately it does have very poor ring definition and with it the rest of the agouti-ness it should be displaying. So not one to keep for show lines, but for meat or pet not a problem..

Maybe the lack of rings means it a blue self chin? Is that even possible? Chin is one of those colors that should never be mixed with anything else, unless you want martins or magpies.

Previous