Writing out the "code"...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nymphadora

Reaction score
How would one write out the complete genetic code (in regards to color, gosh that would be a long string otherwise!) for a rabbit, assuming one had tested and confirmed each set of alleles? Does each locus get "mentioned", or do you leave out something the rabbit doesn't have (like Vienna marks)? I'm trying to learn as much about color crosses as I can, and I'd like to be as precise in my record keeping as possible in the future.

If I could see an example, that would help tremendously. It could even be a hypothetical bun; just show me what the code should be written as and then describe what the bunny would look like.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this!
:blush:

I generally leave anything out that isn't known or if it is unlikely to carry it. I generally write down what is known. For example my broken chin doe is AA Ee cchdc Enen. I know she doesn't carry dilute or chocolate so I leave those out. If it was possible they might carry them then I would denote it as D- or B-.

Everyone seems to have their own system. A lot of people just write the main five in order (A, B, C, D, and E) and only add the others if they apply. Others write all of them. I tend to use only the ones that apply to my breed. Since I raise French Angoras right now (used to be Satins) I don't have to worry about the Harlequin or Tan genes. I tend to write just the A locus through E locus and add any others that apply at the end. For my one junior buck, I'd write AaBbC?D?EeWw, which means he's a chestnut agouti who's carrying a wideband gene. His grandfather was aaBbC?DdEeVv because he was a Vienna marked black self. Just use whatever system works best for you.

Further info: http://www.minkhollow.ca/MHF/doku.php?i ... t_genetics
List of some phenotypes: http://www.angorahouse.com/angora%20rab ... netics.htm

Ok, that makes sense then. I like the idea of having at least A-E listed and then adding visible phenotypes at the end. And I'm guessing the "?" is used in the case that you're unsure if it's homozygous or heterozygous? How possible is it to get the genotypes more or less complete for any given rabbit? I'm guessing getting the DNA tested to make sure ain't cheap...

Lots of test breeding is probably the most common method to find out, huh?

Yup, lots and lots and lots of test breeding

There are currently 11 known colour/pattern loci (and 3 for coat type) but most people just list the 5 more common ones

Dood":1o56yrh3 said:
Oops :doh: I forgot about Satins - there are 4 coat types :cheesysmile:

How are the coat types written out, by the way? I haven't seen much discussion about that part of the generic code on the forum... :all-ears:

Nymphadora":3muhaa9d said:
Dood":3muhaa9d said:
Oops :doh: I forgot about Satins - there are 4 coat types :cheesysmile:

How are the coat types written out, by the way? I haven't seen much discussion about that part of the generic code on the forum... :all-ears:

normal is not really noted. It is assumed unless there are one of the 3 other types
rr = Rex
sasa = Satin

not sure what angora is
angang?

Not long/angora = L_
Long = ll

Not Rex = R_
Rex = rr

Not satin = Sa_
Satin = sasa

Double maned/Lionhead = MM
Single maned = Mm
Not maned = mm

A regular fured rabbit would be L_ R_ Sa_ mm

This is fantastic :) I'm definitely interested in rex rabbits, so that's a good thing to consider. Makes sense if it's recessive, since a cross with a non-rex seems to result in poorer quality coats (in terms of rex-iness). Thank you Dood and Caroline!

I use a _ instead of the ?. I don't write out coat types, the breed name or cross will tell what the coat type is, as breeds are judged by phenotype (looks) instead of genotype.

So if I say I have a Chin Rex A_B_cchd_D_E_
And a chin Angora A_B_cchd_D_E_ I don't add coat type gene because it's implied by the breed.

Back