wow.. reality check..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished shingling the roof of my rabbit hutch. I didn't realize asphalt shingles weighed SO much! Tomorrow I'll attach the roof to the hutch. (With some help!) The shingles must have added an extra 60 to 80 lbs.

Now all that's left is do I want to paint it...I want to but I realize now that I'm thinking more about it. It would have been easier to paint it before I attached the wire cage part... so if I do paint it, I'd only be able to paint the back and sides. I can't do the front because the cage wire is right up against the front wood panel.

Pics soon I promise :)

Shingles ARE heavy! It's pretty surprising.

I don't know about other paints, but I remember reading that Rustoleum paints were safe to use on rusty rabbit cages. Apparently, once the paint has cured, it is non-toxic.

So at least with Rustoleum, you should be able to get the whole thing painted if you like. :)

So I'd paint the actual wire too? I might consider that. Thank you :)

One last question, would pray paint work as good on plywood and 2x4s as the stuff you need a paint brush for?

-- Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 pm --

It's not perfect, I made several mistakes. But it will definitely keep them safe and warm and should hold up for a long time. I think I'll add a more legs tho. Especially now that the roof is so heavy.

I took these pics a day or 2 ago. But since then I added the pitch on the wooden part for the roof and the roof is going to over hang some onto the screen part for added shade.

The roof part like I said is heavy. I did it in my living room late last night so now I'm waiting for help to being it outside and attach it. Lol

The hutch part is big enough for the nest box's and also room for mom to go in and lay down without having to be in the box.

The awning is a spot for moms to relax away from kits that want to aggravate and nurse when mom says no lol and to have a spot off the wire. I made the cage tall enough so mom's can stand up and stretch their leg muscles. I wanted to make the cage longer and give lots of room but space in the back area where it's going is limited. But I do give a lot of out of cage time so I don't feel so bad.

-- Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:37 pm --

Oh and the only place I used pressure treated wood was the legs and they can't get to them to nibble on it :) <br /><br /> -- Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm -- <br /><br /> I also saved the small pieces from some cuts, drilled holes :) . Soaked them in food coloring over night. Now they are drying. Diy toys :)

That looks good!

I spray paint all my wood cage frames. It looks good, but I learned a lesson- go with Rustoluem x2 coverage paint. I had to buy triple the number of cans of another big name brand to get the same coverage. I do two coats and they look good.

And I don't paint the wire. I have touched up paint, and I just masking tape off the edges of the cages up against the wood.

I still need to get a plastic bin to collect the bunny diamonds for the garden. I have plastic signs that are perfect in size to use under each side to collect it in one bin. I figure I can drill holes in the bin to drain the pee. I need to figure out the easiest way to attach the signs so they angle right. The lettering is plastic so I can peel it off if it bugs me enough. Which is kind of is lol

<br /><br /> -- Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:12 pm -- <br /><br /> Still waiting for help to get this outside lol. Used 1 whole pack and had to open the 2nd pack for 1 or 2 pieces. Was hoping to just use the 1 pack. Had I spaced the shingles the way they were supposed to be I wouldn't have had to open the 2nd pack. Notice the top was spaced further apart lol

Looks nice! :) Some of the wood will probably end up soaking up urine, just so you know.

You can paint the wire, or you can mask it like Marinea.

Yeah I know but if it needs cleaning with bleach or whatever, I can block it off until fully dry. I wanted them to be warm in the winter. I plan on loading it chuck fulllll with hay when it's cold.

I wanted to use that thick plastic, kind of like the cutting board stuff for the bottom but it was hard to find and from what I really expensive. I wanted to drill a few small holes for pee to drain. And Easy to disinfectant.

I'll just have to deal with it as I go :)

Yep rustoleum works on wood and metal and comes in cans of enamel or spray. Non-toxic once dry but it may take 2 coats on things like plywood.

Latest posts

Back